Help with button & flashing lights!

Okay so trying to make a rule to get the attention of our teenage son, who like all teens barricades himself in his room with his tv/music blaring! Tired of having to stand at the bottom of the stairs yelling at him(mainly the wife) to get his attention. So I figured I could use a button to flash his light for an extended amount of time. 10-15 secs and it either time out and go back to what it was and or have him cancel the flashing lights by hitting his switch. I played around in RM and couldnā€™t figure it out. Help here would be much appreciated. Iā€™m sure one of you out there has something like this setup :wink:

Inserting something similar to this should accomplish what you want. You'll just have to play around with the repeat and delay settings.

You have no stop for the repeat action. Once this starts it will never stop.

What kind of light does he have in his room? Does it support flash natively or do you have to do it manually. I would do it like this:

Trigger:  Button Press

Action:
Capture State of the light.
Repeat 7 times every 4 seconds (stoppable) 
     set Color to color/level 1
     delay actions for 2 seconds (cancelable)
     Set light to color/level 2
     Wait for His Button Pressed
         Stop repeat actions
         Cancel Delayed actions
END-REP

You do not need the second delay because the overall timing of 4 seconds will take care of that for you. You don't need it.

Heres the entire rule

1 Like

"Cancel Timed Actions" will also cancel any periodic trigger for the a rule too, just FYI. The best thing to do would be to use stop repeat and cancel delayed.

What is the trigger of your rule?

1 Like

I didn't notice that was in there. Thank you. This was the first rule I ever built and was still learning RM at the time. I will update my rule. I don't recall what the trigger is and can't check at the moment. I think it's HSM changed. It has worked as expected since I set it up.

1 Like

Here's just another option to use for flashing light but it's good to also play with RM so you can get comfortable.

2 Likes

@Ryan780 it's a Honeywell dimmer and it supports flashing but and I was trying to use that and have it time out in like 10 seconds but no luck. I dont really want to use HSM either. I may just have to go another route and just turn it off an on a few times

Why would you have to use HSM? HSM was mentioned as the trigger in the example rule that was posted, that's all. You would NOT want to use HSM for this.

Oh my bad I was confused

how do you do the repeat n times? i couldn't find an option for that only seconds/minutes