Help with Auto Unlock Rule

I have this rule to Auto Unlock our door if either my wife or I arrive home and then we open the exterior glass door. It works but I would like to add a timer of sorts, say 2 minutes that would cancel the unlock if the glass exterior door is not opened in that time frame. Any help would be awesome.

May I suggest using a special custom device called a "switch timer (with reset)". It's what I use in these types of cases. I set the device to be turned on, whenever the door is opened, via a simple lighting automation. That allows me to check in the main automation, if that switch is on, which means it's within the two minutes.
(The two minutes is a device preference , set on the switch timer's status page)

With many thanks to: @JasonJoelOld and @Cobra

1 Like

I think this will do what you want:

I think it will. Thanks,!

You have a wait for condition that has no condition so it will never be true. If you take that out, it should work fine the way you have it.

Ok, thanks

1 Like

That rule does not do what he described in the first post.

Thanks, Yea. I still need some kind of timer/expiration

In order to make sure that the lock is unlocked when you walk up to it, wouldn't you rather have the lock unlock when you arrive and then re-lock if you don't open the door within 2 minutes? That way you're not standing at the door waiting for it to unlock. Just a thought.

I like that idea. Could you give some guidance...... Thanks

Sure!

Triggers:  Presence Arriving 
           Contact Opening

If Presence is present and Lock is Locked
       Unlock Lock
       Delay actions for 2 minutes (or I would recommend 5) with cancel
       Lock the lock
Else if  Contact is opened
       Cancel Delayed actions
End-IF

You can use the contact of the main door in this case as well. That way it will not trigger if someone does come fully in the house.

Cool! Thanks a bunch! I'll give it a try.

1 Like