Help with a rule Wakeup routine

Hey folks, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with this rule. I was testing it last night and according to the dashboard it is working, but my light isn't physically changing color or brightness. My echo speaker worked at the right time. I feel like that turn on command shouldn't be needed but the bulbs doesn't even turn on without it. Also does anybody have a more natural, scientific color scheme, I know red can be in there a bit and light gets bluer as the sun comes up but that's about it. Can't find the answer online.

If you could post a screen shot of your whole rule and the log entries using a regular browser instead of from your phone it would be much easier to read...

2 Likes

I think your issue is with the 1m delays. Everything with a 1m delay will happen at 9:42 or 1m from the trigger. If you increment the delays in each step ie 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m ect… it will do what you want.

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

This would only be the case if the "delay" option were used on an action (and if all the actions were more or less right in a row after triggering, or at least without any waits, standalone delays, etc. in between). The screnshot above shows the "standalone" Delay action, which pauses execution at that point, then resumes with the next action after the delay is up. This can be hard to see on mobile screenshots like above, but they are all on their own line and don't have the " --> delay xx:yy:zz" formatting like delays on an action do.

But good guess otherwise! :smiley:

My advice to the OP would be to look at logs, possibly now (any errors), or enable all logging for the rule and then see what it's doing when. You shouldn't need a specific "on" command unless you have a "color prestaging" preference available and it's enabled, but in that case you would (or you can turn it off, which I'd recommend if you don't need it for anything--as should be the default).

I assume you effectively want to be dealing with shades of white? In that case, color temperature is a better choice than color--and easier to work with. Low color temperatures (2000, 2200, or whatever your bulb will let you do) will look orange-y, most household lighting is around 2700 K (sometimes 3000) and has the slightly yellow look many people prefer, then around once you get over 5000 or 6000 K you start getting the blue-ish hues that are closer to daylight color temperatures.

The issue you might have is that not all bulbs have this wide of range. I've seen Z-Wave bulbs that only go down to 2700K. Most Philips Hue products I've seen can do about 2200-6500K or 2000-6500K (more than enough for me), and casual Googling suggests LIFX starts around 2500K. This might still be good enough if you can make it dim enough and it still look OK to you ... or you can resort to color if that works better. Might have to experiment either way!