Help to select smart bulbs

Absolutely! :smile:

For me, depends the area of the house, for example in the garage in the outside I have a dimmer with 2 LED 100w, but for my dining room I have 5 Yeelight 60w in one hanging ceiling lamp, do you believe I need more lumens? :joy:

Merry Christmas!

All kidding aside, How many lumens (really foot candle) you need depends on personal preference, paint color in the room, size of room, and number of lights.

My dining room is large and I have nine 100w led in it... 5 in the center chandelier and 1 in each corner. Had 60w in there before and it was way too dim.

There are a bunch of good websites that have recommendations for foot candle loading for different room types. But in the end these are simply recommendations and people adjust to their preference.

For example multiple sites recommend 30-40 foot candle for a dining room (I would never do less than 40 personally). If you had a 144 sqft dining room that is 5760 lumen at 40 foot candle. Not going to get there with 60 watt/800 lumen bulbs normally, you can only get to 30 foot candle with a standard 5 light fixture...

If you have a bigger room, or darker paint, the needs go up quickly. Thus, no, I can't get to where I want with 60w equivalent bulbs in my big rooms.

1 Like

Setting up my new HE and looking for bulbs.
Appreciate this thread and this one:

I see good options for a standard RGB bulb but I don't see anything but Hue for a spot (BR30) bulb. I've got plenty of those in my house that I want to make smart and I don't have a Hue system. There are inexpensive standard bulbs so comparing those costs to buying Hue bulbs makes me shudder!

Anybody using color BR30 with HE directly?
If not is it really worth going with Hue when I have a HE to do my control?
Thanks

I'm hoping to get the LIFX LAN protocol working by the end of the month. LIFX do a BR30 lamp. As an interim there's the LIFX GoG (Group of groups) which works but is relatively slow.

1 Like

This

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077G7QV9F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Up-mCb3WQEQ5P

With this

The guy will help you with the driver, beta.

1 Like

I would give this Sengled Color BR30 Bulb a try, once they become available. I am using their A19 Color bulbs exclusively now and they work perfectly with Hubitat, using built-in drivers.

I would think these would work just as well, but I have not tried the BR30 version yet.

https://us.sengled.com/products/element-color-plus-br30-multicolor

I just don’t know when these new Color BR30’s will be released.

If you don’t need color, you can try these. $80 for 8 bulbs seems like a great deal to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Required-Equivalent-SmartThings-Assistant/dp/B074QPM8T2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546905434&sr=8-3&keywords=Sengled%2BBR30&th=1

1 Like

I sure will! That device is still in a box for me to reverse engineer :slight_smile:

Very soon. Things have finally settled down a bit.

2 Likes

Great! I have 2 standard LifX bulbs and use the GoG module (just set that up over the weekend). That seems to work great. I'm a software guy and did take a look at the new LAN protocol. Seems like a bit of work but would be great to have it! Let me know if you want help with that.

Thanks. I saw that you were using the Sengled but didn't see the BR30, good to know they are coming. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll be looking for those!

There's definitely a lot to learn[quote="skelsey915, post:50, topic:7388, full:true"]
Great! I have 2 standard LifX bulbs and use the GoG module (just set that up over the weekend). That seems to work great. I'm a software guy and did take a look at the new LAN protocol. Seems like a bit of work but would be great to have it! Let me know if you want help with that.
[/quote]

What kind of bulbs? RGBW ones? I'll definitely need someone with a Mini White,Mini Day and Dusk any of the LIFX+, LIFX Z, and LIFX Beam since I don't have any of those yet. I'll definitely want some beta testers at some point though.

I've got 3 Day/Dusk bulbs, 2 LIFX Z, 4 A19s, and 2 Minis. I would be happy to beta test.

1 Like

I only have 2 but happy to help test: Lifx+ RGB Night Vision (A19) and an old White 800 A19 bulb.

1 Like

Randomly remember this topic and wondered how you've gotten on with this project. Any luck with the LIFX LAN API?

Sorry I bugged you Rob, I just found your Git project. Thanks!

1 Like

How did you pair the FLOALT panel? I just got two in (wasn't expecting it to be hardwired, but i was able to wire it to an old grounded cord) I didn't see any pairing button on the driver or the back of the light panel anywhere? I tried to pair right after plugging it in but nothing was discovered by the hub. How did you do it?

Do I need the hockypuck remote thing too? or can it pair directly with the hub?

Power-cycle it rapidly close to the Hubitat (with the HE in zigbee pairing mode). This is for the 24x24 panel.

1 Like

hmmm, ok this is difficult given where my hub is, but I got the hub to be about 6 inches from the "pairing spot" on the light, and rapidly plugged and unplugged, it but, it still wasn't found by the hub (hubitat hub not hue hub, right?) any other way to get it paired?

How many times? I've done this only one, but I remember doing it 10 times. I ended up using a controlled outlet and an automation that turned it on and off at 1 second intervals.

Also - timing is everything. I remember reading to use 6 seconds - but that didn't work. Then I tried 3 seconds, and finally 1 second.