Help please ! - hub update 2.3.2.132. has broken all my RM5 rule conditions with variables

I have done the hub update from 2.3.2.131 to 2.3.2.132. on C-7. This was a disaster.
In all my RM rules are all conditions broken, which contain variables. The operands are disappeared. Reset to the backup before the update doesn't bring the values back! A lot of work seems to be useless.

How can I set back to a working system? What happens, if I set back to the previous version with the Hubitat Diagnostic Tool. Will this help to recover my conditions?
If I have to set back to 1.3.2.130, I will lose some days work. Can I restore the last local backup with the previous system version?

Example of the "manage conditions table" for one of my rules:
Variable Alarmstufe_alt <=
Variable Alarmstufe_alt !=
vHauslicht_tim switch off
Time between Sunset and Sunrise
vCam1_tim switch off
vCam3_tim switch off
vCam3_tim switch off
Variable Alarmstufe_alt >=
Variable Trig =
Variable AlarmMsgStatus =
Variable Trig =
Variable Trig =
NOT Variable AlarmMsgStatus contains
Variable Trig =
Variable TrigGroup =
Variable Alarmstufe_alt <
Variable Alarmstufe_alt <
Variable AlarmMsgStatus =
NOT Variable AlarmMsgStatus contains
Variable Alarmstufe_alt =
Variable Trig =
Variable TrigGroup =
Variable Alarmstufe_alt =
NOT Variable Trig contains
Variable Alarmstufe_alt !=
Variable Trig contains
Variable Trig contains

The hub software and the database backup/restore are separate processes. You can use the diagnostics page on port 8081 (http://[your_hubs_ip]:8081 to restore a previous version of the hub software without having to do a restore of the database, I would definitely make a backup first just in case.

4 Likes

If you suspect that an update caused problems, which by the way, is extremely rare, the first thing you'd want to do, is revert to previous version from Diagnostic Tool. If data loss occurred, then restoring a previous backup would restore the missing data. If neither helps, then you may be dealing with a database issue and performing a Soft Reset may be needed. Also simply rebooting the hub from Settings may resolve the problem without the need of doing anything else.

1 Like

Thank you!
I have made the reset to 2.3.2.131 and all rules conditions are complete again.

This proves, that the update 2.3.2.132. is buggy and dangerous! I will wait some time with the next update.

Possibly, but I haven't seen that kind of issue with a minor update before. It could be that the reboot actually resolved the issue, as @bobbyD suggests. The only way to know for sure is to try the upgrade again. Up to you whether you take that route :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It may be It is quite clear that this update was not a success with your setup, but I would urge you to not tarnish all future updates in this way. Now that you know the process you have a valuable process to quickly and easily recover from any future issues should they arise, which are rare. You have also experienced the rapid response and knowledge from those here on the Community working alongside the support staff from Hubitat. Another security when upgrading your system.

Personally, I am someone who hangs back for a couple of days, letting the often minor kinks be ironed out. There have been often lengthy discussions about how people approach upgrading their HE platform, all, in my opinion, equally valid. There are those seeking "bleeding edge", to the point of being part of the beta program, verses those wanting a more orderly upgrade path. Neither are free from risk entirely, given the vast array of different setups people have, the Hubitat team can't test them all, nor can the Beta-program team.

I guess my message is to:

• Certainly push Hubitat to improve where they can, but be understanding of the near impossible task they have in providing a completely perfect outcome for every customer
  • Be comforted by the support you have, both here on the Community and from the Hubitat staff
  • Offer any valuable feedback you can so that lessons can be learned and the experience for others can be improved
8 Likes

I fully agree!
I know that development without risk is not possible. And I switched from VERA to HUBITAT not least because of the targeted and continuous development. In this case, I had bad luck and felt the disadvantage. But it was calming to learn, that the appropriate recovery mechanisms exist and do work.
But in future I will follow your way to hang back a couple of days

4 Likes