Help Me Write This Rule

I'm a beginner, I have a Basic Rule that looks like this (thanks to help received from a previous post)
DHRule

"Dye House" refers to a small hobby shop (for dyeing and making clothing- my wife's hobby). It has no heat or AC and the above rule keeps the shop from freezing in the winter.

However, several days a week my wife goes in there and manually turns on the heater at the Z-Wave switch ( a Zooz ZEN15) and then forgets to turn it off so it runs all night and gets toasty warm in there.

I need to add a new rule (or modify this one) to automatically turn off the heater if left on too long- but also avoid turning it off if the rule is running. For whatever reason, the logs just report the same message whether the heater is operating physically at the switch or through an automation, so I can't trigger on that message.
hswitch
Thanks for your help!

You wouldn't happen to have a motion sensor out there, would you? Or a contact sensor on the door? Just some way to tell whether or not a person is there.

One of the first things I learned when starting in Hubitat: Don't be afraid to use multiple rules.

Rule 1: If temp is below X, turn on heater
Rule 2: If temp is above x, turn off heater
Rule 3: Trigger: Every hour, if heater is on and temp is above x, turn off heater

I would probably do something like that.

2 Likes

There are probably many ways to do this, but this is how I know how from within Rule Machine:

This rule runs every time the temperature changes (maybe a bit overkill?), and turns the heater on or off based on current temperature.

From there, you can add additional logic if wanted (e.g. when motion is detected, keep between 55 and 58; when no motion, keep between 40 and 45...)

1 Like

I just have a notification rule that alerts me via Pushover anytime one of our two space heaters has been on for longer than 4 hours. If there's a good reason the heater should continue running, I ignore it; otherwise, it's my cue to shut it off.

I also have rules that ensure both heaters are off when mode changes to Away and when we go to bed at night.

Perhaps use this virtual thermostat. You assign your Zen15 and temp sensor to the virtual thermostat and it will turn the Zen15 on and off and keep the temp at a set value. I have this set up in my shop office. Using a Zen15, I plug in a heater in winter and a Portable AC in summer.

You can make a rule to just turn the thermostat on and off or perhaps use the thermostat scheduler available.

3 Likes

No I don't have either a motion or door sensor there.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.