Help getting my feet under me with driver development

Hey, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around driver development for Hubitat. I'm no stranger to groovy, though mostly use it in the world of Jenkins, and I'm at least a passable programmer, but I'm struggling to find reasonable documentation or clear examples of how to do basically anything. (seriously, there's more ToDo than actual documentation here: Zwave Object - Hubitat Documentation)

I got an Everspring Z-Wave On/Off plug today. I can toggle it using the generic Z-wave outlet driver, but it also has power reporting which I want to monitor. I figured it would be a good place to get my feet wet with writing a driver, pretty simple device right? Well, jokes on me, I can get it reading the power feedback, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to toggle it on/off. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation of how to interact with z-wave devices?

take a look at my hubitat git hub repository there are lots of example device handlers

3 Likes

I'm on the exact same spot as you right now! Yesterday I found that SmartThings docs are a better source of docs than Hubitat wiki, you may take a look at this: Device Handlers — SmartThings Classic Developer Documentation

They refer to Drivers as Device Handlers and this guide helped me a lot what the hell is going on and what's the lifecycle of the Driver.

I've heard Hubitat is a bit different than ST but this is where you should take a look at our Wiki and see other drivers how they do things.

PS. Let me know if you find something interesting!

1 Like

Thanks @kahn-hubitat, looking at some of your handlers was indeed helpful.

I managed to get my driver working and released it here: [RELEASE] Everspring AN186 - On/Off Plug

It's disappointing that Hubitat is using the SmartThings documentation as such a crutch instead of decently documenting their own platform. Eventually Samsung is going to diverge ST to the point where it's not longer reasonable to use their documentation this way.

2 Likes