Help determine delay in rule

I have a rule that just turns on some lights. When I trip the motion sensor there is a long delay until that happens. Hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Motion sensor active at 17:37:29.8 seconds
Rule sees that and turns True at 17:37:30.1 seconds
A second motion sensor in the room trips at 17:37:33.4 seconds
Lights turn on at 17:37:45.1 seconds

So 16 seconds later! If I have the Hubitat device page open I can toggle the switch on/off almost instantly. So that tells me it's not a zwave problem (I could be wrong but that makes sense to me).

What am I missing? I have two dimmer switches. Both Inovelli 37. Both from the Device page act immediately to on/off commands. BOTH have this 16 second delay. So one of the motion sensor triggers and 16 seconds later both turn on. I'm just can't seem to figure this one out.

Here's the rule

Also, I can look at the device page of the first motion sensor (ecolink) and as I look at the device page while walking in it changes to active almost immediately in the app. So the zwave portion of all this seems very responsive...

Here is the other rule working off the same motion sensors and turning on a different set of lights in that room.

Wow, very odd, to say the least. Can you experiment a little with a simple trigger, or with a Motion Lighting app instance, to isolate what might be going on?

Curious if you have any apps or rules to do device polling, and if so, how many devices? I noticed slower response when I was polling 35 or so switches with a RM rule. It got better when I split it up, then better again when I switched to Z-Wave Poller, then better again when I reduced the number of devices being polled.

Absolutely. By simple trigger something like a virtual switch? Or a more simple motion rule?

I'll do a motion lighting app and pause my RM rules.

I don't...and what's weird is I don't have delays on many other lighting rules throughout the house. ONLY in this bedroom. Which first had me thinking zwave issue. Until I realized that controlling the lights from the Devices page was pretty much instant.

1 Like

Let me add...originally I had some GE/Jasco switches in there. I just had some issues with them in general (reference your polling) and decided to swap them ALL out with Inovelli's. Which I did (and I'm very happy with) but I'm having the SAME problem I had with the GE's....so...some consistency in the issue.

So this Motion Lighting rule dropped the delay down to about 4-5 seconds. Progress?
Scratch that...at 14 seconds with this rule. I'm so confused. The very first time it fired it was about 4-5 seconds...now it's 14.

This suggests that something else is going on. Contact support and we can take a look at what might be going on. I wonder if it always responds to setLevel from the device page instantly. Do it several times to see. Don't use On, use Set Level.

Will do. Set Level and off working instantly with device page. However I dropped the EcoLink into test mode (resets in 5 seconds) and timeout to 1 minute and now it's triggering instantly with the Motion LIghting rule. Still contacting support.

This suggests its something about the Ecolink driver.

Bobby looked at the devices and I have a Zooz 4in1. Apparently added in "secure" mode. For the sake of this thread and others. Is there a way to prevent devices from being included in secure mode? Or is the only option to get different devices?

With the latest release, 1.1.7, we no longer join devices in secure mode, except for locks and doors. Any device you have that was securely joined should be excluded and rejoined. It will rejoin without security, and then it will work much better. Secure Z-Wave for non-essential devices introduces lots of unnecessary overhead to how they report events.

1 Like

No, you don't need different devices. Check this thread for more details :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next task on my list!! Thank you guys!

DONE! So far things look MUCH better. Can't wait to see after a few days.

2 Likes