Help detecting Zwave lock issues

Built in retries and also built in delays between each lock attempt. It really helps with z-wave mesh congestion.

2 Likes

Not a mesh congestion issue.

Iā€™m not sure which issue you are referring to, but I am absolutely referring to a mesh congestion issue. In a system with multiple otherwise perfectly working z-wave locks, trying to lock multiple at the same time can cause mesh congestion, resulting in all other z-wave commands (lights, etc) to be delayed. I wrote Lockdown to spread out the beaming load.

1 Like

I'm not saying there isn't a problem of which you solved with this app. I am saying this is not a "Z-Wave Mesh Congestion Issue". Using a broad term as such is misleading to those new to z-wave.

Ok. You disagree with my description, but havenā€™t provided an alternative. How would you describe it?

I disagree with the conclusion of it being a "z-wave congestion" problem. I know from my own experience of installing small and large z-wave installs that the protocol is more robust than most give it credit.

Often times these problems are mesh related of not having enough beaming capable repeaters (non plus devices) and the non-plus devices compound the issues with non-optimal routes. There's also the problem of overruns that can happen when there's a lot of traffic and no repeaters and the hub is having to answer all of the secure messages from all devices (locks included).

However that isn't a congestion problem of the network. It can be a overrun of the controller message queues (which takes a lot of messages) or it could be a mishandling of message queue within the software stack. There's simply too many variables to give out a conclusive "z-wave congestion" as a definitive.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on our terminology then, because when I read your description, it sounds exactly like "congestion" to me. Exactly like road congestion. Too many cars. Not enough roads.

1 Like

Fair enough. Only we're discussing a couple locks not 20-30-40 so the idea of 3-5 locks causing congestion is more a queue failure than too many devices/messages.

1 Like