Help Adding XStick2 ZB

I had an XStick that was on my SmartThings mesh. I was able to remove it from SmartThings, but I don't seem to be able to get it discovered on the Hubitat. When I plug the stick in to my computer the yellow light flashes (2/second, maybe a little faster), but it never pairs. Any advice, folks?

Just noticed this thread; I was going to create a new thread and post some notes I made when I went through the exercise of installing XCTU and the Digi XStick2 ZB on a different Windows
machine.

@chickwebb I think the steps you need to do to add the Xstick to your Hubitat mesh are covered in the last two paragraph of this post (setting the Extended PAN ID of your Hubitat mesh in XCTU and putting the hub in join mode ); at least that's how I swap the Xstick between Zigbee PANs.

So here goes:

When I got my Xstick around 2016 or so, I followed this very helpful SmartThings community post to do the setup:

Since then I've migrated the setup to a new PC and updated XCTU a few times; I'm not sure if those updates have affected the procedure described in that forum post. So I decided to do it completely from scratch on a laptop that never had XCTU installed before. I did get it working and I've listed the steps I followed below; hopefully with a combination of these and the old forum post you can get a brand new one going. Since my stick had previously been configured, I suspect that the steps I outline may not be 100% complete (for example, when I redid install of XCTU I didn't have to re-enter the Trust Center link key, as I describe below; it had already been configured).

Note that one thing from the 2015 SmartThings community post that is now missing is the XML settings file that ST community member JohnR provided; the link he hosted it from is no longer live. I have looked for it on my PC and can't seem to locate it (the PC I did the original install from is long gone). I suspect that it would likely contain the setup for the default Zigbee Trust Center Link key (this is the 'well known' key that is used during device joins to encrypt and transfer the actual unique link key that a particular hub uses for its individual PAN). My stick worked without doing this when I did the re-install, but I think you will need to enter it ("it" being the string 5A6967426565416C6C69616E63653039 ) in the KY field of the 'Security' section of the 'Working Modes > Configuration Working Mode' screen. That can be done when the rest of the setup is complete.

Make sure your Digi Xstick2 is the ZB version; that means it will support Zigbee as opposed to some other 802.15.4 protocol.

• D/L and begin the install of XCTU from digi.com XCTU
    I chose XCTU V.6.5.12 Windows X86 x64; I skipped the 'USB for Cellular' install link shown when at the start of the install.

• You'll get a popup saying 'could not install USB RF drivers, please install manually'; note the directory shown in the popup. When the install completes, go to the listed directory that was displayed and execute the .exe file there to install the USB RF drivers. I had my Xstick already inserted in a USB port during the install; when the USB RF driver install completed, its yellow light began blinking.

• Start XCTU; you'll see two icons in the upper left (one has a green '+' sign, the other a magnifying glass). Click on the one with the magnifying glass. This opens 'Discover Radio Devices', select 'COM3' port and 'Next'. Then select 'Finish'; wait for several seconds the Xstick will be found. In the box that popped up click on 'Add selected devices'.

Xstick will now be shown in the left pane; it may say 'Function 23A7 Not Found in XCTU' (though a brand new stick may not at this point; mine did since it had previously been configured to use the required 23A7 function on another machine).

• Click on the blue box and it will (probably) say 'could not find a firmware... do you want to update the radio firmware library?" Choose 'Install Legacy firmware'... it will do it. The Xstick blue box should now show "Function: Zigbee Router API'.

Note again that if the preceding steps above don't play out for you like that, it is likely because my stick was already configured when I made the notes from this reinstall.. you may find guidance in the 2015 post from ST user JohnR that would be pertinent for a brand new Xstick install as it describes a firmware update step that I didn't have to redo.

• Now you need to 'add' the device to the PAN ID you want to scan; to do this select 'Working Modes > Configuration Working Mode' and paste the Extended PAN ID (from your hub's Zigbee details screen) ino the 'ID PAN ID' field and click on the 'pencil' icon. Click on 'profile > create config profile > next > next > create profile' to save it (if you later swap between hubs, you can reload a PAN ID profile in this way to scan different Zigbee networks}.

• To scan the mesh, choose 'Working Modes > Network Working Mode' and on the right pane choose 'Scan'. If you get a popup saying 'cant find neighbors' you just need to put the hub into 'Add Zigbee device' mode; when it joins the PAN ID the Xstick's yellow light will blink and you should get 'found Zigbee device' on the hub's UI. You may need to stop and start the scan again once you've added the stick to the network; you should then see a series of scan passes; the routers should show up quickly but it may take many passes for all your end devices to eventually show up, especially when they have long check-in intervals (like buttons).

4 Likes

Just great, thanks very much Tony, for adding this info to the community. Looking forward to my stick arriving next week so I can start stumbling around. @Mayhem - "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?!" :wink:

Hope it works; the credit goes to JohnR for the original post that got mine going...

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Failing miserably, mainly my lack of ability... Run up XCTU on Mac no problem, finds USB stick and adds it (9600 speed) no problems but adding the radio firmware keeps failing. It try's to connect to the firmware server but then fails.
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 08.25.30
The local firmware library is empty as would be expected and obviously my Mr Googles skills are somewhat lacking. the post mentioned that there were possibly other steps if brand-new stick which this is.

Hmm.. I don't think it's a problem on your end. I just tried my stick in both machines I configured and on XCTU startup each produces the same error popup. But I can click OK and it operates normally.

Based on this post, I think it may be an issue on Digi's side. Hopefully temporary...

1 Like

No firmware on my stick so can’t do anything tillI can upload I assume.
Must be a brand new one. Result in one way not in another. :grin:

Hummmm download finally working.

Getting a bit further

This look about right? I have added the extended PAN id to the stick and write it away. I assume its worked as it picked up the correct channel. I assume I just leave it running for a bit. I did try to include it on the hub but no dice.
Pointers anyone? :slight_smile:

Are you trying to scan your Hubitat zigbee network? If so, I think you'll need to change the function of your radio (XStick) as there can only be one coordinator, and that should be your hub.

2 Likes

Ah Yes I remember from Highlander the same issue :wink: See I knew if I posted a picture a clever bloke would come along.
:pray:

1 Like

As @bjcowles noted, function needs to be set to the 'Zigbee Router API' . Create a profile and make sure to select XB24-ZB product family as shown in this pic:

2 Likes

Changed function and firmware but crashing out on a scan saying Erroer discovering neighbours of xxxxxxxxx
Cannot find the local device xxxxxxxxxxx address.

I changed profile back to coordinator to make sure all was fine as had no errors but that was playing up too. The red box with C in just shows a ? I reloaded router profile again and am currently trying various settings see if I can get it further. :joy:

You're getting close... that's what I see when the stick isn't joined to the network.

You want it in Router mode, not coordinator.

from my post above:

• To scan the mesh, choose 'Working Modes > Network Working Mode' and on the right pane choose 'Scan'. If you get a popup saying 'cant find neighbors' you just need to put the hub into 'Add Zigbee device' mode; when it joins the PAN ID the Xstick's yellow light will blink and you should get 'found Zigbee device' on the hub's UI. You may need to stop and start the scan again once you've added the stick to the network; you should then see a series of scan passes; the routers should show up quickly but it may take many passes for all your end devices to eventually show up, especially when they have long check-in intervals (like buttons).

EDIT: Forgot to add that I also do this (prior to adding to hub's mesh):

• Now you need to 'add' the device to the PAN ID you want to scan; to do this select 'Working Modes > Configuration Working Mode' and paste the Extended PAN ID (from your hub's Zigbee details screen) ino the 'ID PAN ID' field and click on the 'pencil' icon. Click on 'profile > create config profile > next > next > create profile' to save it (if you later swap between hubs, you can reload a PAN ID profile in this way to scan different Zigbee networks}.
3 Likes

After watching all this here I'm just about ready to refuse my delivery when it arrives later this weekend. :wink::dizzy_face:

I'm just a numpty when it comes to stuff like this... I'm not a coder sore a network HW bloke :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tony thanks for the pointers and I had followed your instructions first time round but miss read and used he coordinator function not router. Funny thing was that when I had it as a coordinator I had put the PAN id in and it must have talked to the hub as it picked up the wifi channel when I ran the scan. So was getting over excited so didn't think.. :slight_smile:

I had to reset back to do a factory on the thing before it would take the new router config. It kept saying the device didn't support the applied firmware.
The reset with the config and it went down treat. Rediscovered stick as suggested by the popup and modified the config with PAN ID and wrote it back to the stick. Started the scan an the in about 3 or 4 seconds
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 20.58.05

Put the hub in to Add Zigbee node but it then sort of deflates like a flan in a cupboard. The timer at the bottom of the pages goes a bit strange but not a lot else.
I'm going to battle on and see where I get. Thanks for all the support chaps.

Me neither - twins! Poli-Sci/MBA. I'm one of those desparate tech-wanna be's, who gets by on "cookbooks" and directions created by those greater than me. :smiley: Take away my reams of notes stored in OneNote and I'd fall flat on my face. :notebook:

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like