HE -> Homebridge -> Hoobs -> iPhones = No response on cellular service

I been using Hoobs for about a year now to bridge my Habitat Hub to Homekit.

It's been working great up to about 2 week ago, my wife and I noticed we are getting "No Response" on all of the Homekit devices on our iPhone.

This "No Response" only happen when we are out of the house on cellular service and it working fine whenever we are home when our iPhone are connected to our local Wifi.

I have done everything, reboot our home network, AppleTV (our homekit hub), upgrade Hoob and Habitat hub but we are still getting No Reponse on all of our devices on cellular connection.

We have unlimited data plan on our AT&T service so that is not the issue. All other apps using data including our home security is working fine on cellular.

The hardware is Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

Any idea where to start to troubleshoot this issue?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is Home kit was turned off in settings under iCloud probably not the case but worth a look if you haven't looked already. Maybe Firewall blocking but you've been using everything for a year so I doubt it.

What type of home networking equipment are you using? I had the exact same problem a few months back, after upgrading my Ubiquiti UniFi system. I think I had to make several network settings changes to get things to work again.

It is Ubiquti system.

We use Edgerouter Lite router but we haven’t done an upgrade to it in last month.

What did you had to do to get your working again? Adjust firewall?

One thing I know I did was to disable PMF on all of my WLANs.

It was a painful process, as I reverted my UDM back to v1.7.2 (from 1.8.3 at the time) which did resolve the HomeKit issue... However, my issue was more widespread than just remote access, IIRC, I believe I could not even access access things while on the LAN... :thinking:

I eventually followed all of the recommendations I found in the Ubiquiti forums for WiFi best practices, and then I upgraded to 1.8.3 again and things continued to work. So, it is hard to say exactly what setting may have 'fixed' the issue.

Have you upgraded your UniFi Controller Software recently? I am assuming you're using UniFi WiFi Access Points? Just a guess that the new Controller software might be implementing new default settings, as that what caused the UDM to change things in my home.

EDIT: Just found this old post...not sure if it will be helpful or not...

I don’t use the controller software and we use the WiFi stand-alone app to configure it.

We use the built in web GUI or ssh to configure the router when needed.

It not WiFi since HomeKit work without an issue when on local network so it have to be router firewall or AT&T is blocking it on cellular service.

1 Like

This has to be something in your Apple HomeKit or iOS settings. Nothing in HOOBS or HE should prevent HomeKit from being accessed remotely.

That I agree but what?????

Still trying to troubleshoot it. It been working for almost a year since then suddenly it stopped.

I wondered if AT&T have something to do with this or Apple no longer allow uncertified devices to be accessed remotely.

Our family iCloud storage is almost full. I wondered if that play a role in it but HomeKit doesn’t use storage right?

Yes HomeKit is stored in iCloud but my understanding is it does not count toward your iCloud storage plan limits.

P.S. I highly recommend the "Apple One Premier" subscription if you entire family is all Apple users. It's a dang good deal, including 2TB of iCloud storage for the family. Signed up last fall and love it.

1 Like

We looked into that but we are a Deaf family so music not any good for us.

The Apple+ and Arcade are free for us since it comes with as a package when we got our new iPhone12 and since we are AT&T customers for long time, we also get AT&T TV (grandfathered in) and HBO Max as the package.

The other packages like news, fitness etc doesn’t interest us.

1 Like

We purchased to 2TB plan (we needed it anyway) but it didn’t resolved the issue.

It has to be firewall or AT&T

Someone on Hoobs FB group suggested to sign out and back in on the AppleTV that is running as hub.

I went and signed out then sign back in and it seems to fix it.

3 Likes

Glad you got it sorted out. Thank you for sharing the “fix” as others are certain to run into the same issue.

1 Like

What neat about the iOS update feature is that Apple TV can connect to local WiFi or iPhone Bluetooth with to set up the account back into Apple TV again. No inputs needed but you will be prompted in your iPhone to allow it.

Thanks everyone