HE Google Home app dropping devices repeatedly, need some help with this

Added a couple of devices to my new C7 today to test/play w/features.

I added Zooz double plug, a Visonic contact sensor, and an Iris motion sensor. All three added fine and work fine alone and in automations.

However, only the Zooz plug will add to Google Home. I have Hubitat linked to Google home, and see the Zooa plug entries there, however, the contact sensor and motion sensor will not appear. I've relinked the account in GH repeatedly, refreshed devices on the device page, etc.

The problem appears to be in the Hubitat Google Home app. I select the two sensors and update to add them to the list of devices available in GH. I check on the device pages and they say that they are in use by GH.

However, within moments they disappear from the list of devices in the GH app and the In use by notation for GH is also gone. Really bizarre...

Current list in the HE GH app - need to add the two sensors.

Adding the two sensors
2020-08-02 21_15_53-Google Home

The two sensors now added. Hit Done to save.

Return to the GH app and verify the two sensors are still in the list.
2020-08-02 21_16_29-Apps

Look at the device page and it confirms in use by GH.

Check the other device and it does not list GH.

Go back into first device and it's lost the In use by GH notation.

Return to the HE GH app and the devices have been removed from the selected device list.

Unless I misunderstand badly, this is just not working. Appreciate any suggestions. If it won't stay selected in the HE Google Home app I'll never be able get them to appear in Google Home. Thanks!

Try leaving the log running in another tab while you add/verify your devices. Usually this behavior means that the device types aren't supported by Google Home (at least in my experience). The log should say something to that effect.

1 Like

The HE google home integration doesn't support motion sensors or contact sensors.
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Google_Home

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, @at9.

Interesting. I have contact/motion sensors in GH from SmartThings, and expected they would work from

They say this in the app " If you include a device that isn't compatible with Google Home it will just be ignored and not sent to Google Home." Why not just list the device types that aren't currently supported.

The fact that it looks like it's working (devices show the "used by google" indicator for a while) makes this very confusing.

Not sure how useful a motion sensor is in google anyway, it's better used for sending commands to controls.

Because it’s easier to indicate the devices that are supported ...

Agree, and I get that, but since it seems to work initially (the sensor device page shows the "used by google" setting) the current experience is very confusing. It looks like it's supported by HE, and then something goes wrong, rather than just not working at all.

Motion and contact sensors are the most commonly used sensors in home automation, and since they are compatible w/Google Home (my sensors in SmartThings appear just fine in GH) the current text ("If you include a device that isn't compatible with Google Home...") is actually incorrect. They are supported by GH, HE just doesn't support enabling them in HE. Big difference there.

A minor adjustment to the current text would be a big help:

If you try to include a device that isn't supported by Hubitat for use with Google Home, for example motion and contact sensors, they will not appear in Google Home."

OK, my whinging here is done. :slight_smile: I was just a little tee'd off that I'd wasted my time last night futzing w/this. No lives were lost, and no root beer was wasted, move along, nothing to see, nothing to see. :wink:

1 Like

If you would like to use "unsupported" devices, the community integration supports a wider range of devices: [Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration

1 Like

Thanks, still finding my feet here on Hubitat, appreciate the pointer very much!

They can tell you the temperature for that room, by asking "What is the temperature of [Sensor Name | Room Name].

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.