Having issues to turn S2 security off on Zooz Zen52 relay for OTA updates

Zooz has a few new OTA firmware updates that I would like to push down to my Z-Wave devices. However, I understand that I need to turn the S2 security off for the Device Firmware Updater to work properly. So I do the z-wave process to exclude and reinclude these switches. However, everytime the device is excluded it seems to automatically get reincluded, and it never gives me the option to change the security.
This auto inclusion reminded me of how these were originally added to the system using the Smartstart feature. So I checked Smartstart and there are no longer any devices shown on these pages. So I added these devices again to the Smartstart pages with security turned off. However, this does not seem to change the behavior of always auto including with S2 security turned on. I have tried this with three devices over and over and I finally was able to get one of these to get included somehow without security. But, now there are two entries for this device with the ghost S2 device not allowing me to remove or delete it.
Any ideas?

Did you try a factory reset before re-adding them? From the manual,

If your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may need to reset the device to factory settings. To reset the relay, click the Z-Wave button twice and hold it for 15 seconds. The LED indicator will flash during the process and turn red for 3 seconds to confirm successful reset.

Yes, did a factory reset as you described. Forgot to mention that before. That didn't change the behavior.
It seems that somehow the Hubitat C7 hub remembers these devices. I was able to discover these on a different C7 hub that they were never discovered on before, without security . I then did an OTA Firmware update. When I included them back with the original hub they were included with S2 security automatically again. My problem is now I have to do another OTA update. That just takes too much time to connect them to a seperate hub. There has to be a better way.

Yeah, hopefully the built-in firmware updater will someday support updates to devices paired S2. That's the only thing holding me back from using S2.

2 Likes

I have use Smart Start multiple times to include devices with the security turned off, works great. Just be sure the device is powered off while you set it up in SS, then turn the device on. Also, not sure if its possible, but did you by chance have the device added to SS multiple times with different settings?

This driver works with S2, and was originally created by the dev who eventually created the app. [BETA] Updated binary firmware updater

Also, you can use a secondary USB zwave controller to do the firmware updates.

1 Like

I would agree that SS works great with security turned off for the devices 1st install. However, in my case the device was originally installed with SS and security on. I changed the SS to have security off, excluded, defaulted and rediscovered. But when I look at the permissions for this device is shows S2 enabled.
Thanks for the link to do OTA update with S2 on. I will try this now.

OK, figured this one out. It seems my setup is a little complicated as I have two C7 hubs on my network, one for z-wave and the other for apps and quarries on old devices. The Smartstart feature only works through the phone app and this connects to only one hub at a time. Not realizing this I had the app connected to the hub without the z-wave devices to be upgraded. This is why I saw no SS entries for these devices when I originally checked.
I could not find a way to disconnect the app from a specific hub so I did a force stop, clear cash and clear data for the Hubitat app on my phone. Then the app let me relogin and select a different hub. Once connected to the correct hub with the z-wave devices I could see that the SS showed these device entries as S2 security enabled. I could then manage the security inclusions from there.

Click settings then there is a option for HUB. This will let you select the hub you want and change to the others.

1 Like

Thanks Borris, that's a lot easier.