Hass.io presence

Just wondering if anyone is using or has considered using HA and the phone app as a presence device?
I don't think it would be too difficult to use makerAPI to connect it to HE

If anyone is using this, how reliable do you find it?
I don't want to spend the time setting it up if the presence doesn't work :slight_smile:

Andy

When I was still using HASS, the app was inconsistent for me with GeoLocation. I’ll install it again on my phone and give it a whirl, though.

The iOS device type in HASS was really slick, though. It phone reported battery levels and everything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I used HASS, I found geolocation to be excellent. But I was using Owntracks with MQTT.

1 Like

I will throw this in here since you are both barely adequate programmers. :wink:
HASS is capable of being a Homekit server, no Apple required. I had a thermostat that had Homekit support and in HASS it just shows up as discovered. I added the id code and I had a fully connected Thermostat.
I was able to create a websocket driver in HE and managed to turn my thermostat on and off. Since I wasn't getting very far, I just replaced the thermostat.
My programming skills are almost on existent but I would bet someone with a little more skill could come up with something that could bring in lost of the things that don't have support in HE.

I was considering an app endpoint for the connection between the two but that’s not much good if the geolocation is poor

I would still give it a try. One thing I learned is that there is no perfect geolocation service that works for all. What may work for you may not work for others. You just have to try them and see.

I have great success with life360 on 2 iphones combined with some lan presence. But I also see countless others that have no success.

It might just be worth the time in the end.

Also since HA supports so many presence services, it might be easier it glob multiple services together in HA????