Has your Hub been effected by POWER LOSS?

I use this script which is called from /etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

#!/bin/bash
#
he_login=your_HE_login
he_passwd=your_HE_password
he_ipaddr=your_HE_ip_address
cookiefile=`/bin/mktemp`
#
curl -k -c $cookiefile -d username=$he_login -d password=$he_passwd https://$he_ipaddr/login
curl -k -sb $cookiefile -X POST https://$he_ipaddr/hub/shutdown
rm $cookiefile
1 Like

I use this on my Konnected system. It works great. Just get the updated version.

YF

I have this exact UPS.

Thatโ€™s a very good price. I recently had an outage that lasted for an hour and a half. Gave me time to shut stuff down safely. It kept my modem, 24 port switch, WiFi router, alarm system, HD Homerun Quattro tuner, and the August Lock bridge running for an hour before the battery died.

1 Like

That is a good UPS. It is also compatible with apcupsd, for anyone using an RPi (or equivalent) on the same network as HE.

1 Like

I have had power loss corruption issues. I put it on one of those APC UPS's and never looked back.

3 Likes

After a long power outage a month ago I decided the APC UPS I was using may be good to give me time to power down my computer, but not nearly enough time if a power outage lasted past an hour to keep my hub powered. Checking the community I purchased this from Amazon.

TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh/5V 12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack for LED Strip and CCTV Camera, Portable Li-ion Battery Bank with Charger, Black (Multi-led Indicator)

It provides 5v of power, has led lights to show how much power left and although I haven't tested it, other community members have gotten HOURS of backup power. You plug it in and then plug the Hubitat hub into it. It keeps charging and if a power failure, automatically powers up the hub. Sells for around $33 and remains cool to the touch

Amazon link to TalentCell device

Is this the one you are talking about?

YF

Yep! That's the one.

bringing this back to life. is this still an issue to have powerlost with hubitat?
if so, that could be a nice solution: https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Backup-10000mAH-Uninterruptible-Security/dp/B07W8MCBMS/

It is always bad to suddenly interrupt any computer's power supply, the Hubitat is no different.

My only argument against that device you list, and many similar devices is that you can get a real, full size, UPS for the same price. This is $70. https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-ST625U-Standby-Outlets-Charging/dp/B07GZR9DSK

A smaller but still full size UPS is $48, https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-ST625U-Standby-Outlets-Charging/dp/B07GZR981Y

2 Likes

Is this overkill for my hubitat: :grinning:

Costco had the Ecoflow River Pro and extra battery for 699.00 and running it in sudo UPS mode before my actual UPS keep my network stack running for about 22 hours. Need the real UPS in the loop because it take about 1/2 second before the Ecoflow recognizes it has to turn on the inverter.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve been running 2 HE hubs from these usb ports for over a year now without issue:

I run my HE and all my hubs with PoE splitters. The switch is on a UPS. The UPS is on a generator. The generator is connected to natural gas. If the natural gas system and the electric grid go down simultaneously I will have to turn lights on and off with a real switch. Except there will be no reason to since the power is out. The only drawback to my plan is some of my mains-powered devices act as repeaters and they will lose power for 30 seconds or so. In my experience, it can take the mesh a bit to recover.

I use a Tripp-Lite UPS to power my Hubitat Hub, WiFi Router, and Cable Modem. That setup usually will last for about 2-4 hours before the UPS battery is exhausted. I also have a Ring Extender device that will report back to the Hubitat hub when there is power loss in my house, and I have a Hubitat Rule that then sends a message to my phone.

thanks all.
I wanted to avoid standard UPS for 2 reasons:
1: they are huge
2: they are crazy inefficient in our use case: take a 12v DC battery (battery in the UPS), convert it to 120v AC, then power a small powerpack that covert 120v AC to 5v DC. that conversion cost a fortune in runtime.

I wouldn't be surprised if that little thing run's hubitat for a full week.
I just started testing it. the led indicator state it's fully charge (which I doubt it is really 100%, may more like 80-90%) and hubitat is running on battery only now. will see how long it last

actually many devices are designed to have no issues at all with loosing power without "proper" shutdown. they have their OS written on disk (or SD card), on boot they copy the OS in memory and run from the memory. when they lose power, the OS in memory may get corrupted. but who cares, on next power up, memory is lost and OS is re-loaded from disk to memory.

in all honesty, this is an issue hubitat should fix in their next hub.

This is why I have my C-7 plugged into a APC UPS similar to the one linked way up above - it has 2 USB ports that I use, to avoid the conversions.

Many pundits are predicting power outages and brownout this summer. That may or may not happen where you live. Your electronics represent hundreds of dollars of equipment so I recommending putting your Internet modem, router, Hubitat hubs, bridges, etc. on a UPS. It is inexpensive insurance.

Furthermore, the more important thing is the value of your time should your automation system become damaged to the point you would have to recreate your system, reconnecting devices, rewriting rules, etc. Even though I am retired, I still value my time. Thus, I have multiple UPS units in my home to protect anything that contains data I would not want to recreate. If I lose equipment, that can be replaced, but losing data costs time that can never be recovered.

1 Like

I just got power back from a 5 days power loss from a major storm. My C7 is plug in a talentcell mini ups. It stay on and working the entire time. I don't know how long it would had last but with that kind of autonomy I don't care about shutting it down in case of power outage.

3 Likes

let me guess, north of Montreal?
im on the south of montreal, we were lucky, just got moderate rain fall. nothing else