Has anyone used any of these led strip diffusers?

Love this thread! I'm re-doing a room to be a bar/lounge type thing. I've really wanted to do full LED strip lighting, but to make it look "natural" not "techy". I didnt know these strips existed!!!!

My plan is to do 2 or 3-tier crown molding...but the lower tier will have an upward facing "lip". I was trying to figure out the best way to mount a light strip. These diffusers will make it EXACTLY as good as I had in mind.

Also I love the DIY vertical lamp. Gonna look into doin similar things.

If you have crown molding you are putting the strips on you may not need a diffuser. Since you would likely be placing the strip so it shines on the wall (a tiny bit) and the ceiling, those would reflect the light out, diffusing it in the process.

As an alternative to a light tower (or vertical lamp) you can get the same type of diffuser (or one of the many other shapes depending on your room) and directly mount them to the corners, or walls. That would be MUCH more stable than a free-standing one and probably be easier to match up to power as well.

Another idea is putting light trim in/on objects such as just under counter edges or within glass tables. I know this one is for a diorama display but the idea of the lighting for the table in general is easily adapted for almost anything.

One last idea for a bar/lounge idea is to have "thrown" light on the walls. Where you mount a floodlight or some light source below or away from it and shine it onto the wall, lighting the wall with that color.

Of course most of these lighting ideas work best with a room that has very light color walls (the closer to white the better) to best show the colors of the lights you are using).

1 Like

Well the reason I want it defused is so I dont get the "dashed line" effect on walls from the LED strip.

Good point on the light colors though. We've been planning on painting the ceiling a dark navy blue. Not sure how to test this beforehand.

Actually, it may not be that bad to test. The easiest is to just shine a section of the LED strip on a paint sample of the colors you want in a dark space. It can get progressively more complicated (but more accurate feeling) if you actually paint a sample on a larger section of cardboard.

Or you can go all out:
Paint the inside of a cardboard box as a miniature of the room. It can even be a family activity (if you have young ones) to try to make it look like the room as closely as possible.

1 Like

I never got my wife to shoot each type of strip diffuser but here's what I've done so far.

It looks good so far. I think you are doing just like what I want to convince my wife to allow. If you can post an "overall" picture of the house with them on at night, I would love to see how it looks. Plus a video clip if you put any type of "change through the colors" rule going.

Added another 9m bringing the total amount of LEDs to 1945.
I hope to have the top done this week.

2 Likes

My kids and I like it. My wife was not as thrilled... Maybe next year. :smile:

2 Likes

My kid would go nuts for the unicorn!

1 Like

Why is this thread in "time out" seems pretty routine to me, well other than...
nevermind

I don't remember why I put it here. I'm sure there was a reason at the time.