Has anyone motorized the crank out type windows?

I've become curious about automating my crank out windows. They're Anderson windows, so the screen is on the inside and they swing out by way of a crank handle. (The crank handles are ugly!) I wondered if anyone knows of anything I'd be able to do to automate them? There is a latch on the sides of the windows to prevent them from being opened from the outside as well. It would just be nice to be able to close them if they're open and a storm is going to roll through, or if the temperature dropped below a certain point in the house. There would be a few obstacles, but it's definitely something I'd love to tackle. So ideas would definitely be welcome. If it's even possible.

I don't have anything like that. But Anderson makes motors.

https://www.allaboutdoors.com/Products/Window-Parts-Hardware/Electric-Window-Operators

Maybe if you could pick the motor that works for you, we could come up with a means.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that anderson had motors for windows. They're pretty expensive.

I use a couple of these on my conservatory skylight (roof) windows.

I’m sure you can find a US equivalent.

I use a fibaro roller shutter controller (connected to HE as a dimmer) to control them

β€œAlexa, set windows to 50%” works every time :slight_smile:

When shut (or set to 0%) they hold the windows solidly closed.

Andy

An alternative...

Obviously you would need a different voltage, but you get the idea.

Andy