Has anyone found a usb hub with battery backup

So I’ve decided the hubitat it for me. I also run a raspberry pi for homebridge. I plug them both into a usb hub for power, as it saves power brick space. Is there a usb hub that has battery backup? I’d only need like 3 minutes of power

Get a UPS? Plug your powered USB hub into the UPS?

Thank you. I thought of that and for various reasons I can’t use an ups here unfortunately

Explaining more about your situation may help someone come up with a better idea, but if you can't use a UPS, maybe try a a portable/battery-pack USB charger. The trick is finding one that won't blip when you switch between mains (charging the device itself) and battery power, so you'd might need to try a few or see if anyone has found one that works. Obviously your situation would also call for one with at least two ports.

It’s a pace issue. I need all 12 ports and I have multiple power bricks. I guess a ups is possible, but I don’t really want to go that route just to power a pi and a h.e. I don’t even want “back up” per say. Our power tends to “reset” randomly for a sec or two every couple of months. I only need it for those times. One aa battery would suit my needs for a year

Another gotcha with the USB battery packs is also finding one that runs while charging. I have a couple (older) ones that will only power their USB when they are not charging.

I have had good luck with the Anker Powercore Fusion battery/charger units for such a purpose with my Particle Photon devices. Have not used them with Hubitat because my Hubitat's are using PoE, and that is on a UPS.

The thing is I read with the powerbanks is when they lose power the stop powering for a split second while it switches from power to battery. Is that not the case with anker?

I picked up this. It seems to have good reviews and had the best $/mAh I could find at the time. It doesnt blip when its charging source comes and goes, so its basically a UPS. It would probably power my HE all day.

1 Like

Thank you, EXACTLY what I’m looking for

you need a few of these, works excellent and I've tested hubitat to run over 8 hours at a clip

Go a little bit bigger. Install a 12V battery (AGM), deep charge if possible ($), or a set of 2x 6V Deep Charge batteries ($$), or a set of lifepo4 batteries ($$$) and you'll power all your important devices for days or weeks.
You can trickle charge them while you have power to keep them fully charged. In case of any power outage, you'll have zero problems.
My alarm panel, my plc's, my router and switches (even POE), my NVR and cams, fanless server, hubs, modem, etc are 12v powered. Even few lights are 12v powered.
Some voltage converters (12v > usb 5v), and voilĂ  !
And zero maintenance. If the voltage of the battery bank dropped until a certain voltage, I receive a warning. Since years.
Ok, I'm in Quebec and sometimes power outage can stay for days and my situation may not apply to you.
But I like the philosophy of grid independance for my electronics.

1 Like

If only they made a case for them

There are 3D printed cases people can make and I would be surprised if you cannot find one online somewhere with a case already (or someone selling cases).

I been looking since Sunday :frowning_face:

There are a few 3D printed cases available:

But you are correct, there does not seem to be any quick-easy cases to be found just for purchase. Pretty amazing to be honest. In the process I also found some double-18650 versions as well... None with cases.

Two batteries or two usb outputs?

It had two batteries, sorry but I did not pay attention to how many outputs.

1 Like

I used Facebook market place. Four someone to print this form$10 shipped. He only charged $5 but he wanted $5 to ship