Harmony Hub Integration

Locations->"Name of your hub"-->List SmartApps--> under the "Other" section there should be your Logitech Harmony Connect App. Copy the HarmonyAccessToken field.

Edit: just realized you pretty much have the same options outlined in your quote. I dont know how ST operates anymore but I know for a while there was confusion as folks were migrated to the new ST app. All I can say is make sure you are logging in to the correct shard for the ide. There are posts in the ST forum detailing this.

1 Like

I just got my Harmony Hub over black Friday and there seems to be a lot of projects going on around it. It's hard to follow.

For right now I'm using a HE virtual switch to turn on my TV using IFTTT HE/Harmony integration. Is there a better (local) way of doing this? It seems like the other option is running this Harmony-API somewhere, but it's unclear if that is working and I don't have a Pi to run it on.

It also looks like there is a ST integration, but I don't have ST hub.

The short answer to your question is no, there's nothing out there for local control at this time.

API....If you're referring to the Alpha thread I started, it's not really ready for general consumption yet. Plus you don't have anything to run it on, so that's out.

The ported ST integration requires an authentication tokens from ST. You can sign up for a ST cloud account and add the Harmony Connect app if you want, no hub required. But still requires a separate account, and still cloud dependent.

IFTTT is probably your best bet at this point.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The IFTTT is working pretty well so far, although it's cloud and only HE to Harmony. It will be fine for the basic things I want to do with it.

I haven't set this integration up yet, but I presume this virtual switch turns on when any activity is running?

It will create a virtual switch, 1 for each Harmony activity.

I just added a new hub to my set up. I tried logging out as instructed on the page and reconnecting but it won't see my new hub. I've also deleted the app and reinstalled it but no luck. It still only sees my old hub only. Do I have to add it to Smartthings and get new authentication keys?

I have two hubs and i had to add it to the same harmony account. I also added it to smartthings. I can't wait until hubitat has direct integration.

Unfortunately, according to Logitech, they are not accepting applications for new integrations:disappointed_relieved:

It would have to be a local integration using Harmony's state digest broadcasts. HE would also have to connect as a XMPP client, which it doesn't currently have the capability to do. Seems like something that would be low on Hubitat's priority list, if it was on the list at all.

I do understand the want to control lighting, etc. with Harmony for things like Harmony activities. So if we had the ability to trigger an Alexa routine with an HE virtual switch, contact sensor or motion sensor, then we could do this since Alexa can control Harmony activities.

I can also get my head around wanting to start a chain of events from the remote without speaking as well. There is IFTTT, but I haven't played with that, so maybe it's too slow. Another option might be Stringify. Typically very fast, but there's no direct connection between Stringify and HE. However, certain IFTTT channels are very fast, HE being one of them. So one thing you could try is Harmony and IFTTT simultaneously (because that's possible with Stringify), then IFTTT to HE.

I know it's not local. Not sounding like you'll have a choice with Harmony, so best to look at the cloud options.

The best option right now IMO is to use the native SmartThings integration, because you can use this to get instant updates. If you migrated from ST, use your existing IDE account. If not, you can apparently create a ST IDE account and add the Harmony app without owning a hub. Add your Harmony credentials, discover hubs and activities. This will create virtual switches in ST. These switches can be added back into the Harmony activities, so when you start a Harmony activity it turns it's own ST switch on (details here). There's your 2-way instant status sync between Harmony and ST. Then in the ST app or WebCore, you can use various ways to pass this virtual switch action back to HE or whatever. I used http calls from webCore to hit RM endpoints in HE, which triggers certain things to happen in Hubitat. It's working fine. Obviously dependent on ST, Harmony, and HE cloud connections, but it's the best we've got right now.

1 Like

That's a good point that you can still use ST cloud even if you no longer or never owned a hub. webCoRE is the only problem with this setup for someone that doesn't have it loaded or has never used it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it being that it's trouble for many, even if it's not giving you trouble.

However, since you can trigger Alexa routines with ST, that's your answer. You start your activity on Harmony, that triggers ST cloud and ST cloud then triggers the Alexa routine to set your HE lights when the activity starts or ends.

1 Like

It's good to have options! FWIW I had no problem reloading webCoRE to my ST IDE account and reinstalling with the ST app even though my hub is gone.

1 Like

Oh that's interesting. I didn't realize that's how you were using webCoRE. Well, that's a safe distance away from the HE hub. :wink:

1 Like

YES....in no way, shape, or form am I recommending WC on HE. I'm just using it on SmartThings to send http requests to HE when the Harmony activity switches turn on and off.

2 Likes

Ya know .. I hate reading this stuff at work! NOW I have to wait until I get home to try anything. Has me feeling a bit frustrated. Haha! @destructure00 @SmartHomePrimer Simply genius.

3 Likes

Can you share an example of the HTTP calls you're making from ST? Perhaps a generic driver example that I could add to my Harmony that would do an HTTP call to HE Maker API to do an action using one of the Smart buttons on my Harmony remote?

I'm not using it anymore, @ogiewon has a local integration that works directly between Hubitat and Harmony...using that instead.

How would this work for the Harmony Home Control buttons? I wouldn’t expect to be able to capture those presses without ST?