Harmony Hub Integration

Yeah, unfortunately the API is polling based. When I first started looking at it I checked the API documentation to see if there was anything SmartThings didn’t implement. There wasn’t anything available that’s event based.

I was going to double check the documentation again, but it looks like Logitech has abandoned it, most likely in their transition to a new site layout. It wasn’t even “official” anyways since it was just a link to a Google doc.

You can change the polling interval in the runIn command that @ogiewon mentioned. I didn’t try any other value than 5 minutes from the original SmartThings code. Not sure if there’s any rate limit on the Harmony API but worth a shot.

If you do want something that’s more event based, a possible solution is to use a smart outlet with power reporting. Then have a condition if wattage > threshold call poll() This won’t catch everything though if you switch activities which don’t have a large wattage change. I don’t think the poll() command is exposed right now but should be easy to change.

2 Likes

I notice harmony events in my log and I dont have any apps installed at all. Under hub events

ssdbTemp urn:myharmony-com:device:harmony:1

I see many other ssdpTemp devices I’m assuming these are all just the other network devices such as sonos, smart TV, etc.

Has anyone actually tried changing this polling interval to see if it causes issues? I'd love to decrease the delay somewhat in my setup.

I thought of another workaround, but it requires SmartThings (since it’s one of the supported integrations). Create virtual switches in ST, then on your Harmony settings, head to Devices, add Home Control > SmartThings > authorize these virtual switches. In each activity add control for your virtual activity switch (turn on at start, off at end). Use the Hubitat™ SmartThings Integration to access these switches on Hubitat. You can use one switch if you just need to know when any activity is on, or individual switches per activity.

These will be “read only” switches, but at least you can respond to events quicker.

Exactly what I was doing already. Was just hoping to finally do away with ST completely.

I'll stick with my current configuration if playing the polling rate could cause issues unless someone else has had success with it.

I still have the issue of Harmony recognizing my hubs. This has gone one since ST.

Are you referring to the ST Harmony integration not finding your Logitech Harmony Hub?

If so, do you think it could also be related to your Alexa discovery issues?

If so, it sure seems like you have some sort of a LAN issue… :wink:

Just a heads up...

If your Harmony Hub is slow to respond to commands from your remote control, please know that the issue has been identified as a Logitech problem. Cycling the power on your Harmony Hub appears to fix the issue, at least temporarily.

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00007Vv0XESAZ/harmony-hub-based-remotes-lag-latency-when-controlling-devices

Yup...had this issue last night. A reboot fixed it for me. Didn't realize it was a widespread issue

Same here. Power cycled the remote and hub last night and everything went back to normal.

Had to recycle a few times too. But it seems to fix it. I feel sorry for their support teams today.

Just came here wondering what was up with my Harmony Integration. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks I thought I was losing my mind fighting with Alexa to turn my xbox or tv on last night .. I did power cycle out of ... well ... desperation and it did the trick for a while...

Today seems much better

I had the same thing happen, but only on one of my three harmony hubs. power cycle fixed it for me. my harmony hub is still connected to smartthings, but the devices in smartthings are gone, so I thought it might be an issue with that. glad it wasn't!

Hi Keo,

So I was using the original version with smartthings and thought I'd give this a go.. it detects the harmony hub and devices etc, but how do I go about creating the devices such that they are controllable? e.g. do I map a virtual switch somehow?

Cheers,

D

It recognized the devices but didn't create them? You should see a device for each of your Harmony devices. When the devices are found it will ask you which buttons you want to map.

To be perfectly honest I removed this app from Hubitat because I was having issues with my hub crashing on me. I wanted to rule out all custom apps. (This wasn't the one causing issues)

Anywho.... Let me know if you have the devices in your device list and if you were asked to map any buttons. If needed I'll get everything set up again to try to reproduce what you are seeing.

2 Likes

Thank you @mattw, I now have Harmony integration within Hubitat! One step closer to shutting down ST :wink:

I assume you're using this integration? If so, please be aware that it is dependent on your existing ST to Logitech integration. As such, you probably do not want to remove your Logitech Hub from ST until Hubitat provides a native integration solution.

Hi Keo,

Thats right, it recognised the devices and didnt create them, I added the device handlers. I've tried removing and re-adding the app etc. Any help greatly appreciated!

D

If I recall when I setup kuku I got an error regarding the naming of the device handlers.

Namespace in the code didn't match the handlers?