Hard Wired (AC) Z-wave or zigbee Smoke &CO Detectors

There is 1 issue of that is the relay has only 1 output and triggered by either Smoke or CO detected.
Some might prefer able to differentiate them. The 9V (AC I think, not sure) interconnect wire carries a signal that tell other connected alarm that is smoke or CO detected.
I don't have EcoLink FireFighter but I think it can tell different smoke and CO alarm sound?

Someone at ST forum got reply from First Alert support saying they've been working a hardwired model, but that has been many months and no update.

As noted above in this thread, that’s correct.

Over a year, I believe.

As @trunzoc stated above just go with the interconnect relay. You will have to be able to access this interconnect wire in your existing hard-wired smoke alarm setup, but this isn't to hard to do. Once you have the interconnect relay installed just hook it up to a device that is linked to hubitat. I personally like the zooz zen16, cause you can use it for more than just your smoke alarm interconnect (it has three separate connections for contacts). And if you really want to get creative and have a ton of time to spare, you could hook it up to an arduino device (through hubduino) and then actually be able to have hubitat know when the alarm is for smoke and when the alarm is for carbon monoxide, apparently the signal sent through the interconnect is different for these two alarm states and an arduino can pick that up.

Why didn't you tell me this BEFORE I got rid of my ST hub :man_facepalming:t2:

Anyone have an ST hub they want to sell me for $20? :joy:

Does anyone know of a hard wired smoke detector that can connect to Hubitat? I'm open to zwave, zigbee, wifi, etc. Would be great to have these integrated, but again it must be hard wired.

Install regular hardwired smoke detectors and use an Ecolink FireFighter to be able to trigger on the detectors going off.

6 Likes

If you don't like @jlv's suggestion (which is what I use, btw), here's an alternative:

Use regular hardwired smoke detectors and connect one of these relays along with a contact sensor with external contacts (like ones made by Ecolink and GoControl):

4 Likes

I’ve got one of those Kidde relays, works well.

1 Like

I had a Halo wired smoke/co detector in my old place. They could connect to Hubitat with zigbee, but they went out of business.

Never found another wired zigbee smoke detector. But like others above, I tried the ecolink firefighter device and don’t use smart smoke detectors anymore.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I like the relay idea, less battery maintenance and less room for audio detection error IMHO. . How did you wire the relay into a string of smoke detectors? Any pics to share?

It’s not easy to cram the relay into a standard depth wallbox with the smoke detector wiring, but it can be done.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Any spec for the external contact sensors? Amazon link? So the relay above would send 120v to the contact sensor when smoke is detected which then signals Hubitat?

No. The relay actuates a SPDT dry contact switch. The coil is 120V.

The example schematics are not clear. The Blue wire is the center arm of the switch. Yellow is NC, Orange is NO. There is also an extraneous 9V DC power supply (Grey wire) output. The examples show the center arm of the SPDT switch wired to 120V Hot, but that’s not necessary. It’s just a relay with SPDT dry contacts, encased in rubber with wires sticking out.

I have the dry contacts wired into the input terminals of an Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 device (Z-Wave Plus).

I got mine off eBay for about $20 (new) a while back. Just search for SM120X on Amazon or eBay or Google.

1 Like

When I set to replace all our smoke detectors, I initially liked the SM120X relay, too. But wiring it up and then using a contact sensor seemed more of a jury rigged solution to me. Just installing the Ecolink a few inches from a hardwired smoke detector made it a wholly independent, simple solution.

FWIW, the audio tones for smoke and CO are well defined by an industry standard, so I don't think there is potential error there. The Ecolink it picked up the sound immediately and Hubitat processed the event right away. With a 5 year battery life (and using Device Activity Check to monitor it) I'm not at all concerned about the battery.

2 Likes

Me neither. The device probably has super low power needs since it’s not doing much most of the time.

Although that reminds me I need to swap out the smoke detector near my kitchen because it false alarms too much. Not helpful for the firefighter’s battery life. Probably because it’s an ionization detector; photoelectric should do better in this location.

That’s another reason I like using the ecolink. I can choose the right smoke and/or CO detector for each area of the house, 10 year battery, etc. I’m not stuck with whatever is available that has a zigbee or z-wave radio built into it.

1 Like

Does the audio detection device differentiate between smoke and carbon monoxide alerts? Are there different audio frequencies?

Yes it does.

2 Likes

Yes.

No. There are different temporal patterns. UL - listed smoke alarms use a “temporal 3” alarm pattern, while for carbon monoxide alarms they use a “temporal 4” pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks all. You convinced me, going with the audio detection device.

2 Likes

Received the Firefighter device yesterday. Anyone using s custom driver or should I use HE default driver?

Also, when monitoring battery life, how often does this device wakeup to send an event?