[Deprecated] Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller Driver (with Component Devices)

Yeah, as far as I know, the issue is that it is a repeater but just happens to not play nice with Xiaomi--not an uncommon occurrence. Some Amazon reviews are wrong and state that it does not repeat at all.

BTW, the non-A version is also unlikely to be found new anywhere anymore, regardless of the model number you see posted in an online store. Some don't seem to have updated that information.

1 Like

Well its all working as it should after re-pairing it.

Cool driver.

Just one small bug/omission is that HE doesnt get updated when you dim the light from the remote. Not a huge deal.

Glad to hear it is working.

Alright, I realize your post is old, but it needs to be stickied or something, as I can't tell you how freaking crazy I went trying to pair the KOF controller, lost about 3 hours and thought i was going to short out my wall switch or wear it out.
I used your method and BAM like magic it worked, and not only that my prior intial pairing didn't allow full control at all. Once I used your method I have full control and will buy another controller.

Thank You Thank You Thank You.
Would you mind telling me what the heck makes your method work? I know the peanut plug is a very attractive repeater, and routes like a champ, but don't fully understand what pushing its button does.

1 Like

The KOF device doesn’t seem to know when to reset itself correctly. It gets into a infinite reset loop without going into pairing mode. When the peanut initiates a pairing call for some odd reason the KOF suddenly flips over to pairing mode too. I discovered when troubleshooting and adding the peanut as the extender in a room. Not sure why but my process works like 99% of the time.

1 Like

Quick question... Do I need to leave a Peanut in every room, or do I only need to do this once, to get the fan to pair? I have ten of these, and while the peanuts are cheap, I don't need 10 more plug devices.

I'm not sure anyone knows. :laughing: (The manufacturer doesn't seem to think the radio is exceptionally weak; these recommendations are based on community experience.) If you can't get it to pair without the Peanut Plug, it's unlikely to stay paired without it, either; the recommendation applies to general use of the fan, not just pairing. If your rooms are nearby (in any direction, next to it or above or below), you might not need one in both rooms. Unfortunately, your experience is probably the best way to verify this.

If you don't like the look of the plugs but do have a use for smart switches, you might try looking into in-wall Zigbee switches. In-wall Zigbee outlets would work too, even if you never use the "smart" portion. Or if you have anywhere you can hide an Xbee, they tend to have strong/appealing radios for Zigbee devices and you might be able to hide one somewhere near multiple rooms and make everything work well. Just some other ideas if you do need any. :slight_smile:

Is it just a matter of having a Zigbee device close by? Or is the Peanut special somehow?

Peanut Plugs aren't special--they're just small and cheap, and people tend to like them for that reason. Any Zigbee repeater should do the job.

Unfortunately the issue is the Xigbee mesh. Since many of us went Zwave and thought just adding Xigbee should be the same forget the the mesh is completely different and also needs to be built out. Zwave and Xigbee do not relay for each other.

I have a Peanut in strategic locations throughout the house replacing existing Zwave outlet devices to extend the Xigbee mesh accordingly. I use currently (4) in my home to control (5) fans currently. I have one between two rooms, two dedicated to a room themselves, and one in a general area to extend the mesh halfway through the house.

Yes, any Zigbee repeater (ac powered device) in wall or plugin, will do. The peanut, the Iris and the Ikea tradfri are all popular plugin products. The plugin nature allows you to move them around and find the ideal location. Maybe then you put an In-Wall device there?

Imagine you have two rooms, each with a fan and the Hampton Bay controller. On the common wall, you put a plug-in and find that you're able to pair both and control both. All of the plugins are risky in my house.. everyone thinks they are optional :frowning: to be unplugged anytime it's in the way.

Can someone send me in the right direction to solve my Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller problem. The light works good but the fan doesn't? It pair with Hubitat right away and I can control the light but not the fan? I wire it like it show in the manual. Any hint on what to try to get the fan to work?? Thanks

Can you control the fan with the remote that came with the controller?

@marktheknife Thanks, I when back and redid the wiring and finally got it to work. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it came to life and I can control it with the remote that came with the controller. The problem I have now is that I cannot control it with Hubitat but I'm going to exclude and re-include and see if that work.

Very likely a Zigbee mesh problem, like not having a repeater close enough. Since you said you're reading the thread again, I'm sure you'll see several mentions of this beyond what you already have, but in case you missed that their radios seem to be weak, it's worth mentioning again. :laughing:

(And I had this problem a couple times myself. Adding the repeater in the room may have been enough to make it respond on the Zigbee network eventually, but a re-pair, tricky as it is with this, definitely eliminates any wait.)

@bertabcd1234 I do have a Zigbee outlet in the room to use as a repeater and I exclude and re-include and now it's working with driver from @stephack KOF driver. Thanks for the insight and help. Much appreciated.

If you have issues pairing, do get a peanut. I went insane flicking my switch on and off for over an hour. Then I saw a suggestion to hit the join button on the peanut plug at the moment of reset, and Bam the kof
zigbee fan controller paired right away.
Funny that initially I had no problem pairing, but the second and third time the peanut really helped.

Thanks everyone my Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller is up and working ok.

1 Like

Anyone have any advice to get this thing into pairing mode? I just installed mine today and have had no luck.

The quick start guide says on/off for 3 seconds, 5 times total.

Ideas?

Are you flipping the switch/breaker to turn on/off? Reset procedure won't work if using the included RF remote to turn on/off (since that isn't cutting power to the receiver itself)