Hampton Bay fan and light

I had a problem for a while where one of mine didn't update at all, from the remote or from the zigbee commands. I had to manually refresh to get it to show the status correctly. But after removing and re-adding to the hub all of a sudden it started working correctly. So, if you're seeing that yours doesn't, just try re-pairing to the hub and it might work.

Hi Keith! Where would one find this usb charger???

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/tradfri-signal-repeater-30400407/

2 Likes

Thank you!!

I’m trying to install this remote on 3 fans but when trying to prepare it for pairing using HE instructions the remote does not seem to reset. HE instructs you to cycle in off/on for 3 seconds x5. At that point if successful light should blink 3 times. I’ve tried this many times without success. Anyone have any ideas?

You can't just cycle it on and off from the remote, you have to remove power. Many people leave an old fashioned light switch on the circuit to do this task, or you can cycle the circuit breaker in the panel.

I wasn’t sure but I ha tried both. The problem is my fan isn’t on a switch. So I have to disconnect and connect the wire. It turns fan on and off but I can’t get it to do the reset.

They tend to be very picky about the timing. You may need to try more than once. You also will need either a repeater or the hub very close (but if you have the module out, I'd recommend just replacing the antenna as detailed in a couple other threads--then you don't need to worry about that part).

Yes, I’ve tried a dozen times or more. I’ve tried a fast 3 seconds and a slow 3 seconds count. What adds to my frustration in trying is how you start with off for three seconds and on three seconds (5 times). So do I end on fan off/ or on? I’ve tried a variety of patterns and timing and nothing seems to result in a 3 flashes of the light. I wish someone posted a YouTube video of how to do this because it seems so simple and yet I’m not getting results. I’m usually a pretty good DYI kind of guy and this just frustrates the hell out of me. The remotes are working but I can’t seem to get this reset to trigger by cycling the power. Connecting and disconnecting the wire should do it since I don’t have a wall switch. I think isolating the breaker to perform this task will be hard but that might be my next attempt.
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone. I really want to get these fans set up on my HE.

You definitely need to end with the "fan" on (not necessarily literally the fan, just that you need power to the module). Sometimes you have to wait a bit after the last "on" to see the flashes, so just because it didn't happen right away doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't successful. Having the hub in pairing mode at this moment may have helped me in the past (and having the hub as close as possible maybe have too), but that could have just been coincidence. These things are really tricky, and sometimes I think it just trying multiple times that finally did it for me.

I can definitely tell you that after I replaced the antenna I re-paired this device in place without a repeater right next to it and it worked on my first try, and it hasn't fallen off since (granted, it hasn't been very long). It'sreally easy to do this, so since you apparently have to open the canopy anyway to reset yours, I'd highly recommended this. I was about ready to throw mine out the window (and replace it with Inovelli's next year or whenever) before. It's not very difficult--then module opens up with two screws, and the antenna connects with a standard (uFL?) connector. Even at the moment, perhaps you could just open it and make sure the existing antenna is securely set into that connector (I saw another post about that too).

1 Like

Man these things are a pain. I tried calling Hampton Bay and the lady who answered was really no help as she just referred me to homedepot website and then gave me a number to call on the weekday for “technical” help.
I am now trying the power cycle on the breaker but still no luck. I guess I’ll just keep trying until either I get success or until I find additional support. I’ve never had this much difficulty with other products. Pairing maybe yes, but just to get into reset or pairing mode, this is ridiculous.

I don't think I've mentioned this in this thread yet: I highly recommend replacing the antenna (or at least opening it up and making sure yours is securely fastened). All my network woes with this device went away when I did that, even the reset issue (I'm not sure if it's hesitant to reset if it's not getting paired at the same time, but my luck has always been better in pairing mode as well).

1 Like

Do you know if the larger PCB antenna can be painted?

If that's the leaf-looking one, then yes. I painted mine white to match the ceiling, and as luck has it, the plastic (not uncoated metal) part faces down when the antenna is attached, so it was not a nerve-wracking experience to paint, either.

1 Like

Thank you. That's the one.

Just an FYI data point. I was prepared to replace the antenna, but securing the existing antenna connector made a significant difference for one of mine.

1 Like

Can HE reverse the fan direction via the Hampton Bay kit?

Nope.

Thanks Bert. I can’t imagine that all 3 remotes are not going to reset due to the antenna but since I am still having issues, anything is possible. It’s such a pain opening the canopy and getting to these controllers but I may have to do this to troubleshoot. Ugh!! Thank you for adding your thoughts.

Hey @ryan780 ... did you ever pair that fan with HE? And did it actually flash like it's supposed to per the directions?

I had it linked once (blinked like it should) but un-linked and reset the fan when it stopped responding to HE commands. Now I can't get it into pairing mode....no flashes.

I saw your post in a different forum [link] where you had mentioned that it didn't blink when pairing to ST.

Any input would be great. I'm wondering if I need a new module.