Hampton Bay Fan and Light Control

I’ve been searching through the forums trying to figure out how to add either a switch or virtual switch to control the light attached to my Hampton Bay Fan.

I added the device successfully into Zigbee and associated with Alexa App for voice control.

I added the tile to my HE Dashboard which allows me to set the fan speed but there is no light control.

If I tell Alexa to turn on/off the fan it turns the light on/off
-I assume at this point there is not a way to control the fan with voice control. Am I incorrect?

My goal is to have a tile on my dashboard that will allow me to control the light for this fan separately from the fan. Currently the only ways I have to control the light is by voice through Alexa, or by going into the device and changing the light level.

If the Hampton Bay Light Control was added correctly you'll have a parent device, which is the controller itself, and 2 child devices which are the fan and the lights. Make sure you have "enable component devices" setup on the controller device.

2 Likes

Yup that’s exactly what I have done and I can control them both individually with Alexa.

Note. I only installed it a months or so ago and haven’t used it a lot yet, but the fan speed is between 0 and 100 just like controlling a dimmer when talking to alexa. Although I don’t think all increments are supported and if you give back to back commands she will say it isn’t responding.

Thanks for the help. The components were not enabled. That sort of seems like it should default to on.

I’m finally wrapping my head around the change to HE and so far am very pleased. Now I need to figure out Schlage and Chamberlain.

1 Like

The one confusing thing, to me at least, was there were actually 3 devices. The parent, the fan child, and the light child. You will need a separate dashboard tile for each of the child, one for fan, another for light.

When you select the device for dashboard use (Apps, Dashboard, Choose Device), be sure to pick the two child and not the parent, or it won't work right.

1 Like

I have a Schlage be469 z-wave and a chamberlain garage door with MyQ as well.

There are a lot of complaints about the Schlage. I was a bit rocky ate the beginning but that was before the built in driver. And I have FW version 8 in my lock. Apparently if you have an earlier version you may be in for a tough time.

Edit: I also have a couple Zooz Zen22 Switches 12 inches away from the lock.

Edit #2: short explain action why it’s important to have another z-wave device near your lock. Beaming - Things That Are Smart Wiki

Garage door was easy. I added an SmartThings contact sensor (without the contact part) and it was a quick setup. I used the Lite version of the driver on the forums with sensor. There are separate drivers for open and close push buttons. I originally installed them but deleted them later. The main garage (control) give you full function in dashboard and the same for RM.
and there is a separate drive for the garage door light that did not work. But I never had the function under wink, so I’m not sure my unit supports it.

I also have two Zwave switches inches away from my lock and my Zwave mesh is pretty robust so I’m not super worried about the RF side. Is there a way to update the firmware on your lock if mine is out of date? I still have functionality through Wink and have hesitated to remove it yet as I’m trying to go through piece by piece.

As far as Chamberlain I almost never used wink to open or close the door (mostly because the Wink app is trash) The one feature I liked quite a bit was a 30 min reminder that told me I left the door open.

I have the opener with myQ built in and am using a wired internet bridge that came with the door to control opening/closing. I have an opener that is just old enough they hadn’t added HomeKit support yet.

My light is set to automatically turn on w/motion (a built in sensor to the door button) so I’m not terribly worried about light control.

Ultimately I plan on mounting a powered tablet or two around the house to control everything and visually being able to see if the door is open/closed would be awesome but thats more of a wish than a requirement.

1 Like

There is an unofficial MyQ app. It works fine, but you probably will want to buy a tilt sensor for the door so Hubitat knows the state of the door.

1 Like

Yes that is the app that i am using for MyQ.

Yes I have the same MyQ to Ethernet adapter but I had to by it separately.

I have the motion disabled on my wall button because it it’s turn 90 going out the side door so it was useless.

Re the firmware in the lock - from what I have read from others, no FW update is possible. If you bought it inside of two years they send a replacement. But mine must be that old now. I probably just got lucky when buying it at HD.

Yeah I just looked it up. I ordered my Schlage in 2015, it is the same model as yours. Am I basically going to end up having to buy a new lock or is there a chance I get lucky and it just works?

I don’t even have the key for that lock anymore and I need to remove it from wink before the 20th when I will no longer be able to manage the codes. (I’m thinking even if I remove it from Wink the codes will still work? I just won’t be able to change them) and of course notifications will be gone but the ring doorbell cam will work as a placeholder for the time being.

You can excluded it using HE but I think it’s easier if you do it from the wink first.

You will have to factory reset the lock. It will erase all codes and you have to re-enter the master code that is on a sticker on the box or on the back side of the controller portion of your lock. That sticker also lists the FE version.

There are videos on YouTube to do a factory reset.