Halo / Halo+ Smoke and CO detectors

I just moved over 2 of 4 of my non-weather Halo’s. They seem to connect and work just fine. The only thing I see missing is the ability to hush an alarm an initiate a self test, the latter would be very helpful since they’re used in my rental.

Eventually I’ll probably move to Nest Protect given the lack of code-compliant interconnected options.

Push and hold the center disk on the Halo for self test. I believe that will also hush the alarm.

Thanks. What I was hoping for was to have a test button like in the ST app. I perform monthly tests using the button in ST Classic. This saves me from intruding on the tenants outside of my quarterly inspections.

Be lucky we got this much..... Mike has no plans to make any device changes.

1 Like

I am... I know these are dead products so Im grateful they’re supported here. I wouldnt have left SmartThings if I had to replace them.

1 Like

I just picked up two Halos (non-plus versions) off of eBay, install and pair to HE was super easy.

I wanted to use them as night lights (on at sunset, off at sunrise), but noticed that the light automatically turn off on its own after 5 or 6 minutes.

Is there a way to disable this?

dev:6752019-02-16 09:25:06.985 pm infoHalo Smoke Alarm - Downstairs was turned off
dev:6752019-02-16 09:22:57.845 pm infoHalo Smoke Alarm - Downstairs temperature is 83.50°F
dev:6752019-02-16 09:19:37.951 pm infoHalo Smoke Alarm - Downstairs was turned on

Not as far as I know. It was part of the original firmware/app that the light would time out. I think you could extend it to 30 min with the app but there wasn’t an option for never.

Other than the temp sensor not being correct, anyone think there is a safety concern with keeping the LEDs on all night using a rule?

If I remember correctly from what the halo folks said on their own forums right after the units hit the market.. the heat generated from the light could damage the internal components - so its baked into the firmware to shut off at 30 minutes max

Hey Mike, I know you said you were done with this but I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers to improve on the existing driver. I paired my Halo+ to ST and was able to set the weather alerts without any issue. I was even able to tune the NOAA channel and turn on the speaker and hear the channel. How could I go about capturing the zigbee traffic so I can see the commands ST is sending to Halo?

If you aren't able to see the data in st live logs, you'll need to setup a zigbee sniffer to see what's going on.

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I will start here//

Smoked up the house pretty good yesterday from cooking.. Halo went off but the Safety Monitor didn't send its alert. Am I missing something? The center halo button was pushed within a minute of the alarm going off.

log from halo:

dev:12019-02-27 06:26:19.069 pmdebuggetAlarmResult- Silenced
dev:12019-02-27 06:25:41.671 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall smoke and carbon monoxide are clear
dev:12019-02-27 06:19:29.566 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall temperature is 65.29°F
dev:12019-02-27 06:19:17.948 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall is off
dev:12019-02-27 06:15:52.568 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall 
dev:12019-02-27 06:15:52.567 pmdebuggetAlarmResult- Silenced
dev:12019-02-27 06:15:45.964 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall smoke is clear
dev:12019-02-27 06:15:45.963 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall smoke is clear
dev:12019-02-27 06:14:51.803 pminfoHalo - Entry Hall smoke was detected

No log from alarm monitor at all and even though the interconnect kicked off the other halos.. their logs don't show it at the time. My guess is that's just a function of the device while the interconnect will trip it - it will not log it.

Here is my alarm monitor screen shot..

I do notice that each of the halos and the first alert zwave device do not say in use by "X" at the bottom.. could that be the problem?

The good news is that part of your observation is correct. Only the detecting unit will report the conditions. The other ones will just sound on an alarm. I was told by Halo a long time ago that this behavior was a UL requirement.

That is definately an issue. Here's what mine look like..

What does the configuration page look like for "Smoke and Carbon Monoxide:"?

EDIT: One more suggestion, although I don't think it applies here. If you enabled the "Use All" option, you still have to go back into HSM and save the automation after pairing new devices.

That must have been it.. I may have set it up prior to pairing all of them.. I just went back into HSM and unchecked use all, rechecked it and then hit done / save twice and it now shows on all of them.

thanks!

2 Likes

One last question.. is there a way to test the alert without smoking the house out?

I've tested the alert by pressing the button on the Halo once. This send out a "tested" alert rather than a "detected" alert. I'm hoping that if the tested works, so will the detected alert.

That's about all you can do. Hubitat chose not to implement the self-test command (available in Smartthings), so pressing the physical button is the next best thing you can do.

So here is a question, again coming from someone who can cookbook program but has no clue about how programming works to create from the ground up, if SmartThings can do it couldn't it be converted over to hubitat?

The test command? Yes, that's one of my weekend projects. I just purchased a couple off eBay so I can complete my build out. I plan to sniff the conversation with SmartThings to see what cluster is being used to trigger the self test.

If I can figure that out I hope that @mike.maxwell will be willing to add it to the existing driver.

I have (i think) 6 used Halo's in my closet if anyone can use them. Used for ~6 months before I moved and uninstalled them. Probably 18 months old.

Never bothered re-installing them since they went out of business, and I needed a bunch more.