Guest Mode

Does this setting allow for a virtual switch to override the mode changing to away mode? The wiki isn't super clear on this. Thanks!

Yes. But you also want to disable returning from Away mode by time unless you want the normally scheduled changes to mode to occur while you are in Away mode also.

Where do I do this? I don't see an option to disable returning from away mode by time?

Edit: Do you mean this switch:

If I disable this, it takes away the options to indicate if any presence sensor result in return from away mode. So If I do this, how does the hub exit away mode?

I have a guest mode that we trigger for when we have a baby sitter or family staying with us and we need to leave. My "GoodBye" and "Welcome Home" routines are handled through Rule Machine based on presence and open/close and unlock actions. When we turn on Guest mode, it won't go to Away (mode manager). When we get back, RM fires welcome home and we recreated the "return from away" activity from mode manager in RM with a simple IF/ELSE statement. Since "Guest" mode isn't an "away" mode, "Return from Away" in Mode Manager won't work.

1 Like

Here:

You want to make sure that Away doesn't use your time settings. You want to leave the option in your screenshot, yes....but you want to make sure that you still have away set to ignore time changes.

Oh gotcha! I have that setup properly. I abandoned trying to use a switch to override the hub going into away mode. Instead I'm just using a virtual switch to set a virtual presence sensor to 'arrived' which is working so I'm happy with that.

How do you have it configured to go into Away mode? You don;t have to use presence for that. I don't. I want it to happen more immediate than that.

Hmm interesting point. I've just always used presence. You presumably use a switch then? I feel like, for us, we would forget to hit the switch. I guess presence could be a backup?

Actually, I use a button to run my "leaving home" automation. I can't really forget to do it since it opens the garage door. The button also hangs right next to my car keys.

Interesting food for thought, thanks. Presence is definitely buggy whether I'm using the Hubitat Mobile app or Life 360.