GU10 and MR16 Bulbs

That is the issue with the MR16 lamps, as most people are not sparks and just want to change the lamp everybody thinks LED's will just work. GU10's are best for that as they are just a 230v connection then the lamp has a internal driver built it 'simple', but at a disadvantage due to the size requirements the driver is always abit crappy. Then you have the heat dispersion issue. Where as the MR16's wouldn't have this the issue is the existing set-up won't be a driver, instead it will be a electronic or wirewound transformer (if really old) these don't do the same thing as a driver. The transformer is designed to run a standard filiment lamp and although in modern 12v lamps there is a bit of kit that's designed to help convert the power (regulate it) it's still not as good as a driver. As a sparks there is 2 things I would recommend

1 st the most expensive, but best for the lamps but has a issue that there is not alot of options for normal lamps, let alone smart ones. Subject to the wiring being ok, replace the tranny's to drivers, you could combine some lamps if the driver is adequate, to reduce costs. If you have had halogen lamps in there for a while I would also replace the caps (really easy and cheap) the heat tends to destroy them and make the connection crap (not what LEDs like). You could also replace the whole fittings for about £2.

2nd is to replace the holders for GU10 fittings £2-7 or remove the tranny's and replace just the caps 50p-£1. They fit in the same whole or fittings so easy to do. The advantage of this is price, ease, options but the disadvantage is quality and inturn longevity.

Sorry to hear that.
Had similar experiences at first with the IKEA version as well. But in my case the cause was not the bridge or the lamps.
Mine were connected to a wall dimmer I went on a hunch and replaced the dimmer by a regular switch and is working fine since that.
The reason why I want to replace them is because they are just yellow :confused:

I ended up buying two of these and plugging them into a smart outlet:

I don't know if they can be made compatible or not.

Wifi bulbs no thanks.

They might still be able to be integrated. There's at least one Mi-Light app for ST that could be ported. Although this appears to involve making a gateway on an ESP8266...

They can use TCP or UDP, though not sure how complicated that would be. @mike.maxwell - are Mi-Lights an easy integration?

Hmmm. Well... I'm sure you're right about all of that Borris, but given that the existing lighting circuit won't even drive the old halogens properly (I'm ASSUMING it used to... but if I'm honest... it could have been a year since we turned those lights on anyway - the room is rather 'over-lit' for it's size), I don't think it's just crappy transformers on the back.

Annoyingly... I've now got of my 3 lights, one of them that keeps lighting itself back up. A quick googling throws up an awful lot of 'yeah... Osram lamps on old firmware do this a lot'. Which is tricky... given I can't see a mechanism for OTA firmware upgrades on them that I can actually get to at the moment. I've got more confidence in the power delivery to that set at least.

Ah well. If this stuff was easy, it wouldn't be any fun :wink:

-- Jules

Can't you return them?! The batch number might help identify the firmware

ST hub will update them for you or you need to get a osram gateway to temporarily connect them too so they update. But it could be the power dropping in and out if your having issues with the rest of them.

Possibly on the power. Might get the ‘scope out of the loft tomorrow and see what it looks like.

And i’ll Power up the old ST hub and see if it wants to push firmware.

— Jules

Best way to do it is to factory reset them (don't delete them from HE) then once your done just join them again after another factor reset and they will slot back in the the previous place. I have one of each type virtually on the osram hub, then every now and then I power it up and see if it says there is a update :slight_smile: you could do the same with ST. Saves having to reset them every time you want to check if there is a update.

OK. Good plan :wink:

Thank you.

-- J

I’m running 30 MiLight GU10s in my living room. I run an app on my PC that acts like a Hue bridge. It has been working well for about two years with Wink and Echo. It would be great if it could work directly with HE but I’m still early on the learning curve.

Hi All, I'm brand new to Hubitat and only just ordered the Hubitat Hub. What is a good quality GU10 led spot light bulb I can buy that will work with the Hubitat? They are recessed ceiling lights.

I would say Phillips Hue GUI10 is really good. I have about 5 for a couple of years now but have them on the HUE bridge with HE integration. I bought a handful of IKEA GUI10 around 5 months ago and added to the Hue bridge as well. 2 failed on me after the first month but they are way cheaper than Phillips.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. So to get lights to work using the Hubitat Hub do I need to purchase anything else other than the Hubitat Hub and the bulbs? Whats a HUE bridge?

There are 2 options. You can pair the bulbs directly to the HE hub or you can get a Phillips Hue bridge and pair the Phillips Hue bulbs/Ikea Tradfri bulbs to the bridge and have the HE hub and Phillips bridge talk to each other by Lan.
There are pros and cons to both. You can try searching the forum here or I can post some links later.

LIFX also makes a GU10 bulb. They are WiFi bulbs and can work with the hub via a user app you can find on this forum.

I’m using the Sengled GU10 lamps (Zigbee) without issue paired directly to my HE hub.
I’ve got them in recessed eyeball type fittings.

Reviving and old thread .... does anyone have suggestions on color GU10 bulbs? Seems like there are very few options out there. GLEDOPTO appears to be the lowest price but is still $28/bulb

Inner, aurora or ledvance all zigbee 3.0 and seem to work well.