Groups - could we group contact sensors?

I have a few places where I check if all doors are open or if all doors are closed. If we could make a group of all sensors it would be really handy for rules. I know I could make some virtual switches but just trying to keep it simple.

What would the difference be?

One one hand you’d have an entity that was a virtual sensor (with a relatively simple Rule Machine rule set up to define it)

On the other hand you’d have an entity that was instead a “group”, with a very Rule Machine like setup to define it

Have you seen this?

5 Likes

I have now! Thanks! :smiley:

Works perfectly. Thanks.

1 Like

I'd love to do this, but I have a specific request. I have a webCoRE piston on ST that I've not yet moved over to HE that uses something like this. (When I move it to HE, I plan to redo it in RM).

The piston sends an alert if any windows are open when the HVAC turns on. But I have it tell me which windows are currently open, so I know which ones to go close. Using any of the above approaches would mean I'd lose the specific list of currently open devices.

Ya it would be nice if it could tell you which device was open but I only have 3 doors and it's 1200 sq feet on one floor so not that hard for me to figure it out here.

1 Like

I have a 3000 sq. ft. house with 16 windows and 5 doors on the main floor, and 15 windows on the 2nd floor, and they are separate HVAC systems (so two instances of that piston). I still plan to see if I can do that with RM once I bring all those contact sensors over the HE (I've not yet built out the ZIgbee mesh on my HE, which is why they are still all on ST).