Grouping of Sonos Speakers

We currently control our sonos speakers by setting the volume and the same music for each one however this creates a few seconds delay between them. When I looked in 2018 there wasn't an elegant RM way to group the speakers. Has it moved on since then if not how are people grouping speakers? Thanks!

2 Likes

I do it from the Sonos app manually to use their sync logic which is quite sophisticated. There is an open API you can use to automate this but I haven’t tried it.

1. You can use try triggering an IFTTT applet to control the group volume.
  2. GitHub - jishi/node-sonos-http-api: An HTTP API bridge for Sonos easing automation. Hostable on any node.js capable device, like a raspberry pi or similar. is a more complex solution, but it allows for almost total control of your sonos system.

ah seems like there still isn't an in built solution to do this from rule machine or webcore which is a shame.

@Kvothe thanks for the suggestions however i was trying to keep it all on the hub

Its a limitation inherent in the Sonos device driver, not Rule Machine or WebCore. If you have Smartthings, you can connect your Sonos speakers and then connect them to Hubitat using [RELEASE] HubiThings Replica. The Hubithings Replica Sonos device driver allows you to control volume of a group (a feature that the regular Sonos device driver does not have), but doesn't (i believe) allow you to add / remove a speaker from a group.

This is now available in a community developed app.

2 Likes

+1 on this new community app.
Before I was using an rPI with the Sonos HTTP API bridge, but thanks to this community app have migrated over. As a quick newbie to it, I typically hit play on my primary sonos then do "join coordinator" as just "group" sometimes doesn't behave well depending on the original source. Just a FYI.

Yeah. These do two different things. One does exactly what it says, joins players to a coordinator. The other creates an all new group, moving everything into that, coordinator included. It's useful if you specifically want to drop whatever the coordinator is doing. Think of it as more of "pre-stage group" or something like that.

3 Likes