"Group and scenes" implements startLevelChange

Can the groups implement startLevelChange? I want to use the [Start Raising] action on a group.
I can work around this by raising a single device and have that device in a device binding with other devices. I´ll like to be able to do this to a group and not to each of the individual devices because i´ll like to have a single device representing the status of the devices in my dashboard

Error log when trysing to do the start raising action on a group.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'startLevelChange' is not supported by device. on line 4932 (allHandler)

The was recently requested...

And Hubitat's response...

So what do you suggest? Adjust level by X instead?

To be honest, that is up to you. But you could do that if you only want to deal with the group and not the invidual devices. I don't care about the level the group indicates on my dashboard, I only use it to see if any device is on and if so to turn them all off. So I just use the individual devices and still use startRaiseLevel and stopRaiseLevel.

Same here. I don't really use Dashboards as most of my lighting is simply automated via motion/contact sensors, or controlled via Pico remotes, or Alexa voice control.

Start ramping doesn't work for groups because all of the devices won't change at the same time or at the same rate necessarily. If you want to adjust a group by a button controller I would recommend either adjusting by a certain percentage per button press or do what I did and pick some pre-defined levels. I found that 90% of the time I use at most 4 levels. Off, very low, low and max. So, you can set up a button controller to cycle through those levels as you press, either with one button or in the direction you are pressing if using an Up/Down button controller. You can use the lights' current level as the condition for your button controller rule.

You could do this for hue groups thru the hue bridge. Hubitat could at least support that. It already supports it for individual bulbs. It works for my Runlesswire devices attached to hue bridges.

That was sage advice. I had just taken delivery of a couple of Sylvania 4-button smarts, and wanted to implement start level change on a group basis - which does not work. So did the "adjust by x" per button push, and it works great.

1 Like

I've fought startLevelChange so many times, you'd think I would learn to just avoid it. But every time a new idea on how to get it to work comes my way, I give it a shot and 9/10 times I come back to this method. It just works consistently which to me is more important than being able to adjust dynamically across the entire range of fading that's possible.

This in itself seems moot. To my eyes I detect small level changes at the lower settings easier than above, say 60%. So 60 - 80 - 100 would be fine, whereas not much is to be gained by 60-65-70-75, etc . . .

Exactly. And when I get down low, I always end up missing the last stopping point before the light turns off, so i end up having to pull up a dashboard to get the slider anyway.

Hi All,
I’ve been playing with my hubitat for about a week now and I want to do the same thing. Fortunately, my group only exists of two bulbs (both aeontec led bulb 6 color). So I tried to do a simple workaround.

I have a group called “staande lampen” that consists of “staande lamp links” (referred to as Left in this post) and “staande lamp rechts’ (right).

On the button hold it checks the current dimming level of the group. Based on that it starts increasing or decreasing the individual bulb dimmers. Sequentially, left first and right with no pause in between. The only difference in dimming is thus the time between executing the two actions.

Then on the button release, I also stop both lamps individually. Again left first.

Than I save the dimming level of the left lamp to a variable (LeftDim) and then i set the dimming level of the group to that variable to make sure both bulbs (and the group) are aligned.

It works good most of the time, but there are some hickups.

I’ve added a 2 second wait between stopping the dimmers and reading the dimmer value to the variable, because, apparently, there can be some slow communication and sometimes it takes the wrong or an old value. And for some reason my aeontecs quad “hold” signal,is always send twice...

Hope this might help someone.
And improvements to mynworkaround are appreciated :wink:

1 Like