Grandiose plans to monitor laundry

My concern would be the current surge when the motor kicks in. The ZEN15 is specifically designed to handle that.

4 Likes

Yeah I can see that concern but the way the washer works it starts out really slow and gradually picks up pace. It's always been kind of a quiet starter. I vaguely remember looking into this issue a while back and don't remember seeing any surges that concerned me at the time.

But since my memory is vague now I have to do it all over again. :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

Confirmed - washer installation instructions say 15 or 20 AMP is supported. I will take a look at power levels the next time I run the washer (probably need to run a load today), but assuming my memory is correct about the lack of significant surges during cycles, things look OK.

OK, well I'm certainly not here to say you have an issue. But just for the sake of completeness. A 15A breaker is designed to handle more than 15A for a second or two without tripping (slo blo for even more). The ZEN15 is also designed to handle more than 15A for short bursts.

Whether or not a smart plug rated for 15A is similarly designed is something I couldn't say, but that's the concern.

2 Likes

1 Like

The ZEN15 connected to my GE washer shows a max of 1133.909 watts which is a little less than 10 amps. Probably at the beginning of the spin cycle.

IMG_0182

1 Like

I have my washer plugged in to a Kasa KP125 and integrated into my Sense energy meter (could also be handled directly in HE). My peak load is about thev same at 1156 watts or less than 10A (voltage is ~124 VAC).

The deciding factor here is the type of motor control used. My LG washer uses an inverter driven motor which eliminates the inrush currents associated with simple switch or relay type starters. YMMV.

The heating element is, but usually the motor and controls are 110. If I was serious about NEEDING to know when my dryer was finished, I would open it up and see about hacking a power monitoring plug into the motor or control power circuit. Not for the inexperienced or faint of heart, but doable. Definitely voids the warranty :wink:.

1 Like

That's why I just monitor it at the panel :stuck_out_tongue:

Or you could do like i did and put an aeon older power monitor clamps on one of the dryer 220 legs at the fuse panel. No voiding warranty necessary.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.