Govee Integration for Govee Light, Switches, Plug, and now Appliances

@mavrrick58 oh sorry I must be blind didn't see it in the list earlier, thanks!

I am pushing Govee Support to further discuss what the support is for the new Local API. I clearly have a device that has been through a few hardware revisions, and they don't seem to care about getting the older revisions to support the new local API. That is a bit concerning and they don't seem to be willing to explain what of hardware level is that will support it for all their devices that are listed as supported.

FYI for the H6052 only 1.00.10 and 1.00.11 are supported for local API access.

Just in case anyone is interested here is a link to a doc i just created to show what devices are supposed to be supported by the new Local Lan API. It is a google docs Sheet and show the model listed from the doc, a description title from the Govee Home app, a URL to the Govee site to purchase a device if i could find it and then the current price as of today. I am just trying to find what is suppose to support it so i can get one to look at this connectivity option to the integration.

Govee Lan API Supported Devices

Thanks. They do seem to be rolling out the new firmware, but it still seems buggy with devices not reliably appearing. That's one of the challenges of using broadcast UDP.

So I am currently testing out update to the Lights, Switches, and Plug driver that will include support for local control. Fortunately, I didn't pull out to much hair trying to figure this out. It isn't without it's flakyness but once i got a stable driver it seems to have started working pretty well.

Once I finish validating myself for a few days I will publish it. When I do you need to confirm two things before turning on the Lan control option. First you need to confirm your device supports local control, and as of right now the majority do not. Then you will need to know what the IP of your Govee device is to add it to the preferences once the local device control switch is activated.

You will likely want to set it to a static ip so it doesn't change.

Something to be clear here is that this does not enable any additional features from the cloud based control, it just allows you to control the device locally. This is just a limitation of what Govee has put in the API's. We also have to deal with a limitation of UDP on the Hubitat as I can't create a app to listen for updates from the devices. Polling will still be needed over UDP, but this should remove rate-limits. That function is just a internal hubitat only option for deployment. Maybe if Govee gets enough devices activated for local control we can get an official app to support it.

1 Like

Oooo I have a H6117 and I see it is on your list. Sign me up for testing! HW version 1.00.01

@jtp10181

You can check now if your devices will support local control.

Open the Govee Home app, click on the device to display it's options, then click on the gear in the upper right corner to go into settings. You will probably need to wait 5-15 seconds, but a option for LAN Control will appear if your Hardware revision supports it.

Not all hardware revisions for a given device can do local control. I have a H6052 which won't because it is on hardware 1.00.01.

Nope not getting the option for LAN Control :frowning:

This is my concern. I think a good amount of folks may be let down when they realize their gear is to old for it. I had to buy a new device to test this out and get it working.

In got the h61a1, the 6ft led rope light strip to test the integration with. It is a cool little device, but is really new.

Note that Govee has been updating the firmware to support older devices.

I don't know if Hubitat supports it, but you can send a broadcast message to have Govee devices report their IP addresses, so you don't need to enter the IP address manually. In general, one should not depend on static IP addresses.

Kind of true. The API supports it, but it looks like you need to open a inbound Multicast UDP port to do the UDP call for discovery. That ability is limited to Built In apps as I understand it. So if Hubitat ever builds in support then they could enable that functionality, but as a community developed app it isn't possible.

I just posted the latest driver update for the Govee Lights, Plugs, and Switches Driver to github. It should also be available now for download through HPM.

Lan Control should only be turned on if you have confirmed your device supports it. You can confirm that by opening up the Gove Home App, clicking on the device you want to control, then click on the Gear Icon in the upper right corner. You may need to wait for 5-10 seconds, but if you see the Lan control options as shown in the image below it is supported.

Turn the toggle so it is on in the Govee Home app. Obtain the IP addres of your device. Then go into HE and turn on Lan control for that device and click save. A new box will appear asking for the devices IP Address. Please enter it now and click on save again.

Assuming it works you will now be able to control the device from Hubitat and have fun.

This update does not address retrieving device status updates. At this time, I have not been able to get the device status call to work from HE and I suspect it will be a limitation of what we can do with community apps on the platform. If that changes I will update the driver. I believe this is a issue with opening ports on the HE platform that we just can't do. That is a "Built In" app only option.

@jercloud since this is sending comands locally i believe this will take care of what your issue was above.

@user2263 That is a new strip and will likely support LAN control as well.

So let me know how this goes for everyone.

For you broadcast a scan you'll get a status report from each device.

{"msg":{"cmd":"scan","data":{"account_topic":"reserve"}}}

You'll get a report from each connected device. The device doesn't send reports on a change, so you'd need to poll.

Well @Bob.ma has helped me through some chats and he confirmed that both calls using the local LAN control options for status use a function we can't currently capture to update status on the devices.

This means for the time being at least, we will still have to poll the Cloud API for status updates. That is the way this driver works now so enjoy

I was considering Govee's new, or new to me, outdoor light strip (H6172) as replacements for Christmas lights. I could also then use them for Halloween or other holiday's. However I dismissed this because I hadn't searched to see if there was any integrations into HE. Then I come across this thread and I'm thrilled. Even more thrilled that the model is on the supported list and it also looks like local LAN control is available too.

Quick question before I dive into this rabbit hole though. Am I correct in that I would define a "scene" within the Govee App and then I could call that scene through a rule in HE?

Unfortunately, no. That is highly requested feature, but as of yet Gove doesn't allow that through the API's.

With Light, Switch, and Plugs the API allows you to 1, Turn a device on or off, 2 set the color temperature between 2k and 9k, 3 set the color of the entire strip. 4 Set the brightness level. This is the same weather it is controlled through the local api or through the Cloud api.

Now the Govee device does remember what it was set to last. So for the holiday if you want to run Christmas lights from 11/25 through 12/31 you can easily do that by setting the lights to that scene on 11/25, and then not changing it again until 12/31.

I do this for my Govee H6199 that are TV lights. 99% of time they are on the Movie scene and just turn on/off.

Just remember you will still need a Govee Cloud API key even if you use lan control to manipulate the device. The cloud will still be used to lookup status changes made from the Govee app.

1 Like

I can confirm the H6172 works fine with Lan control. I picked up pne and am thinking about the best way to mount it now. So far so good.

Would love to see some pictures or thoughts on how you will be using it. I don't know if I will be able to make it work on my house. Since you can't daisy chain them, I would need a minimum of 3. I wish you could daisy chain them. Then it would be a no brainer. Two of the 3 I can easily power. That third one would require an additional outlet.

Just group them in the app. They have multiple ways that the lights can be grouped or synced together.... I have my t2 backlight TV and recessed cans snyced together.

Crazy thought for a local work around... Could we have hubitat control the govee devices through our phones or computers Bluetooth transmitters similar to how the app does? Then we wouldnt have the rate limit and should have a lot more control too.
Love the integration! Keep up the awesome work!