Google mini TTS hung then spoke out all the stuck TTS in 1 go

Somethig weird happened today with my Google Mini.

I have a motion sensor setup when triggered would send voice to google mini to say "movement detected"...

it's been working well for weeks and late today i noticed it wasnt working anymore.. i'd trigger the motion detector and not hear google call it out..

i checked the Hubitat device logs for the motion detector device, and hubitat seems to be receiving the signals just fine.... my other smart home devices (lights swtiches etc) were also working ..... I left it alone for now but then all of a sudden google mini said "movement detected" like 12-15x consecutively.

How on earth did that happen? what could've caused that (internet lag?, google server issue?) and how does one avoid that from happening again?

There are a bunch of erratic behaviors with the mini

Most have figured out you need to care and feed them (volume/config triggers etc) before sending a message .

Ive had this happen 1 time before i started the care and feeding routine. Its almost like it lost connectivity (sleep?) and everything queued and then released

i see. so it's not just me.. I'm an alexa user , just trying out this Mini thing for the direct TTS option. but it seems im going back to alexa for my TTS requirement, though I have to create a routine and bind it w/ a virtual device per TTS need, alexa seems to be more reliable w/o the "erratic" stuff.

Sidenote, also noticed that mini isn't reliable when turning things on or off...... even if there's an issue mini will just say OK after the command.. whereas with alexa, the action is actually confirmed..

for example, when i say ALEXA TURN ON LIGHTS

Alexa will sa "OK" if the command was really executed (it confirms with the device)...... if action was not executed, alexa would say "LIGHTS is not responding" .... this is such an important capability.

So, back to alexa for me i guess.

I like the mini for TTS .. but that is literally I use it for. There is another thread called alexa or google that has a lot of thoughts around that topic as well

1 Like