Google Hub

So now that some of you have had the Google Hub - what are your thoughts?

Sound
Features
Usability?

Just like my Echo, I'm stuck thinking of ways to use it.
It only displays lights and thermostats which is my one complaint so far. (No switches or other devices.)

It sounds acceptable for the price. I have a small house and I prefer things not to be too loud. It is odd that the sound fires towards the back as the reviews say...

Features, everything that's advertised, I'm getting excited about setting up a speaker group when I get my Minis tonight.

Usability, for some reason my wife speaks to this thing when she refused to speak to the echo. Perhaps because it's in the kitchen. I have yet to fulfill her desire for recipe management, she uses a specific app to catalog her recipes so I'm hoping they make an integration she can use soon.

It's so small! Everyone says that in the reviews but it's surprising just looking at the box, let alone when you get it out. I think small is good, it's not overwhelming.

4/5 due to future possibilities.

This is a great device. I replaced my mini in the Living Room with the Hub. Everyone loves the pictures. It's great to get some visual feedback too when you talk to it. Like bringing up the forecast or seeing my front door/back door cameras. Especially when someone rings the front doorbell and the video automatically pops up on the screen.

The dashboard is a very nice feature and easy to control/move around in. I use it mainly for voice but it's nice to be able to hit a button (lights and switches) when I don't want to make any noise. @keithcroshaw, not sure why your not seeing switches. I have lights and switches showing up. I'll attach a picture...

As for the sound, it's about the same as either a Home or a Mini. Not Wow, but not bad. I have a few groups setup and it plays nice with all the rest of them. I have a Home, Mini or Hub in every room. :smile:

Bottom line, would I buy it again... absolutely! I'll be getting one for the kitchen next.

That's really interesting. I'll have to try again!
The pictures are a big plus to my family too!
I have the Apple TV in the living room on a photo screensaver.

Now my problem is all of my photos are in Apple Photos.
Not quite sold on Google Photos being in the Apple ecosystem.

Which video doorbell are you using?

I have the Google Hello.

Thanks, I'll check it out

1 Like