Google Home and Nest Thermostat

First - I'm a somewhat competent lay person. IME, I can follow directions and get things working on HE. Technical terminology usually goes over my head.

I recently installed the Google SDM API to integrate my Nest learning thermostats with HE. So far, seems to be doing what I need.

We have a studio and I recently installed a newer Nest Thermostat 1.4. Its the new simplified version without the learning capabilities. During setup, the tstat was registered with the Home App. I have tried to register it with Nest but it just directs me to the home app. I've tried to figure out how I might get the nest app to see the device but no luck. Guessing this is by design to corral everyone into Home.

Is there an integration for Home/Assistant? Is there another solution, other than getting a non-nest tstat?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly after working with several other thermostats (radio ct101, go control, Honeywell t6 pro z-wave) I've come to find the nest is crap.. I can do so much more with the others. I love nest smoke/co units though.

Haven't tried other thermostats yet, but reading up on the nest thermostats, I'm getting it. The tstats I have work fine but its clear google wants to keep their customers in their universe. Got this last one cheap through my utility. Before I flush the $50 I want to see if I have options with HE.

There is a driver in the alpha stages for nest but not sure where it's at... (I also like to avoid cloud stuff) The best one of the bunch is the Honeywell T6 Pro z-wave

1 Like

I control my Nests through HomeBridge and Node-RED. Sync them with some Centralite Pearls (in floor heating) that are paired with HE. Interestingly Apple HomeKit NOT required for this. I still have my old Nest account so configuring the HB plugin was a bit easier.

The Google SDM API works with both the Nest Learning Thermostats (and E, setup through the Nest App) and the new thermostat, setup through Google Home. I have heard reports of folks having trouble discovering new devices - I'd suggest trying to re-authenticate, and validate if the desired devices show up to be enabled/disabled in the OAuth permissions page from Google. Depending on your setup, there may be one or more Homes to select from when enabling permissions.

2 Likes

Thanks. I do have a couple locations. I will try that.

OK.

Just in case anyone else comes across this issue:

I went into the Google SDM API app and clicked on Auth Link. That took me to Google Nest Permissions page. At the top there is a drop down menu where I was able to select the home assistant location for my garage which is a separate location from our house. In the garage, found the thermostat, granted permissions. Went back to the GSA app clicked discover and the thermostat was recognized.

Duh. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I'm very new to this Google SDI API integration and I've tried to follow the steps but I'm lost at this point. I managed to get the Nest Thermostat to be seen in HE but I can't seem to get it working. Perhaps it's the OAuth consent. Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting more detailed step-by-step instructions to set this up? I really wish to get my Nest Thermostat accessed via HE and then be able to call in from Action Tiles. TIA.

Enabling debug logs and providing the generated entries from Device and App for commands that aren't working. Also, you could search the main thread for this integration to see if a similar issue has been reported/resolved previously.

Thank you for your help. I went through the direction from scratch with the link that you provided and I finally got the Nest thermostat to work.