Google Assistant, say it isn't so

You must have known it was only a matter of time. After all, we are not google's customers. Their advertisers are their customers. If you are getting something for free, you're not the customer, you're the product. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ads won't matter to me as I use Pi-Hole that blocks them.

2 Likes

Expecting the 'slippery slope', I don't use GA. For the HE/Chromecast integration, I keep the mic switched off and the speakers have their own email account. The ten or so Alexa products are used 99% for voice control, timers, and reminders. I off-loaded the repeat reminder to HE using bptworld's Notifier Plus.

1 Like

Knew Apple was the only solution.
This is happening on Android TV too.
Time to slowly get ready for Apple Homepods.

Yup, saw that. Here's a link for anyone reading along at home:

I don't trust anyone; not Apple, not IFTTT. Amazon has already spot-tested the Alexa ads about 18 months ago, and quickly killed them due to the backlash. Still, I think you should always be thinking about how to leave them (Mycroft, STT). Or, if you can't leave them, how to gut the ads (PI-hole).

Hey Google, Turn on the family room lights.....

Response: Sure, turning on the family room light... This action was brought to you by {insert company name} where you can purchase {insert item} at a discounted rate of $.... with coupon code {....}. Offer expires xx/xx/xxxx.

It's only a matter of time.

5 Likes

If strangers want to subsidize my hotel room by buying $3 candy bars from their hotel room mini-fridge, that's fine with me. The same is going on in household electronics.