Delete this topic

This post is deprecated content and should be removed.

9 Likes

You have me reconsidering a reinstall of GAR. I had this setup for testing a while back. I needed to repurpose the rpi it was on so I lost that config. I've considered setting this up again but didn't want to go through the hassle.....but....with a docker image available, this changes things. Do you think it would work on Ubuntu with docker...I assume yes since it's Debian.

Regardless if I try this or not, I'm sure this took a lot of work to setup and I'm sure the community will appreciate your hard work. :+1:

1 Like

Looking at your dockerfile you're using the node base which through docker should auto resolve the architecture and work on any docker supported architecture that there's a node base image for. We'll find out soon enough as it's downloading/installing on my x86_64 VM.

EDIT: Yup runs fine on docker on x86

2 Likes

@Ryan780, a couple of things to note about Docker. I'm not familiar with GAR so I don't know the expected paths but they should be easy to determine from a manual install. I did a very quick glance around the code.

Docker by nature is not persistent. To work around this configuration files and anything needed to be saved from restarts should be in a local directory and passed into the container via a loopback to docker.

The container is persistent to the local machine. Yes. I didn't say it wasn't what I said was:

Which is not what you read or interpreted. I said Docker not container they are different things.

When you at a new user, or setup the Google account from the new web interface - where are those settings stored?

I think that's the point. Most containers expose the folder that config files are stored to local storage so that if you have to rebuild/upgrade the container you don't lose your config.

But what do I know?

If it stores the user files in the container, and the storage location isn't mapped to local folders, the next time the container needs to be rebuilt (underlying component update, like OS security updates, being the most common reason) it will delete/destroy the user files.