GoControl Z-wave thermostat with Alexa

I recently helped a friend move from her Wink version 1 to Hubitat. She has rheumatoid arthritis and has really grown dependant on her voice controls for her Schlage door lock. We're really impressed with how well everything has worked with Hubitat. She also uses 3 GE Fan controllers, Iris motion and leak sensors, and we are slowing add her Lightify bulbs to the system.

However, I'm reading that more technical work will be involved for me to enable voice controls with Alexa and the GoControl thermostat. Is there a simpler method that I'm overlooking? or an update on the way? Does anyone have a link to helpful instructions to enable a work-around for this feature?

Thanks very much.

One option you can do is make a vitual switch, link it to the Hubitat Amazon Echo skill app to raise or lower the temperature a specific number of degrees using rule machine. You then would go into your Alexa app and make a routine using voice command for Alexa to follow. I can tell Alexa to raise the temperature and the Gocontrol thermostat will raise it one degree. If i ask Alexa again, it will raise the temperature another one degree. This works the same with lowering the temperature. Hope that helps.

1 Like

You may want to look at this thread.

I like to cheat. I have the same device.

1. I created a virtual Cold driver and a virtual heat driver. These are set as dimmers (the cheat).
  2. I control the range for Cold to 65 to 85 and for Heat from 55 to 75 (but adaptable).
  3. I then created a cool and heat. Linked them to Amazon.
  4. You can then say Amazon set cool to 70 or Amazon set heat to 65.
  5. I created a rule that when these values are changed, the thermostat cool and heat set points are modified.
    Works great. But again, a cheat. By the way, the GoControl has a minimum cycle time setting and a minimum heat/cold offset - so somewhat easier
1 Like

Nah - its a workaround :smile:

Did you get the answer you needed or give up?

I think I did. We had really bad storms that knocked out power until this morning. I'll be able to visit with her this weekend to give it a try. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll be sure to report on the progress.