GoControl thermostat and Hubitat app options

Just got my Gocontrol thermostat this afternoon , and its up and running. The back cover had the Z wave plus logo AND the cluster also showed Ox5E , so looks like I'm all set. Also with the help of other posts, I made two Virtual switches and rules to allow Alexa, by voice command, to raise or lower temp by a certain number of degrees. Guess thats as good as we'll get until Hubitat thermostat app is updated to allow Alexa commands
Thanks for all your input!
Tony

2 Likes

@aaiyar Will the HE adjust the schedule on the T6-Pro-Z-wave and vice versa or do they work independently?

I have a new GoControl sitting on my bench that perhaps I should return. If the schedules on the T6 and HE work independently, then I assume that they will conflict if someone else in house tweaks the thermostat. However, if the HE goes down, then the GoControl is stuck at the last setting.

I had been assuming that with the HE a dumb Z-wave thermostat was the way to go but would love to get your thoughts.

Yes. This can be done with the new T6 Pro driver that is in 2.1.8.117 - however there is a current issue with that driver (unrelated to scheduling).

No.

Edit - I am not using schedules on the thermostat.

From the install Guide:

"This thermostat may be configured to be programmable or non programmable.
Thermostat schedule is an optional menu item. It will only show up in the thermostat menu if enabled in the Installer setup – advanced menu. It provides setting for local thermostat schedule control.

Once the thermostat is included in to Z-Wave network, it assumes to be programmed from your Z-Wave controller and the program schedule on the thermostat is turned OFF by default. Use just the controller or associated app to program schedule (automation scenes) for the thermostat."

1 Like

Thanks @aaiyar

and @jkudave.

So as the thermostat is used simply a sensor and control for the HVAC, is there any other factor to consider between the T6 and GoControl other than cosmetics?

It supports 3 heat stages and 2 cool stages. So it can be used with a 2-stage heat-pump with AUX heat (my HVAC system). It also supports external hard-wired temperature sensors (I'm not using this).

The GoControl doesn't support either of those.

BTW, I used the new T6 Pro driver in 2.1.8.115 to send a schedule to the thermostat. It works. But I don't know if the thermostat uses it.

Edit - to be clear, the driver has this unrelated issue for at least my thermostat. I don't know if anyone else has reproduced it yet.

1 Like

Aside from what @aaiyar just posted, cosmetics is part of the decision. I was a long time Nest thermostat user. In my opinion, they are the best looking t-stats out there and are easy for the family to use. Simply turn the dial to change temps. That being said, I did start having issues with the newer Gen 3 models I upgraded to, so it was time for another solution. I only had 1 main caveat that prevented me from going with many other t-stats that I liked -- I don't have a C wire, so I need battery controlled t-stats. I also decided that I wanted t-stats that had a configurable temperature swing setting.

I didn't want to chance any issues with Z-Wave, so I tried the Centralite Pearl for a week or so, but just didn't like the way they looked compared to the Nest. In addition, they failed to report 100% battery status with multiple sets of brand new batteries. After some more searching I settled on the Lux KONOz (Zigbee model). Got them installed last night and love how they look and operate. So to sum this all up, cosmetics played a big role in my final (hopefully) decision.

1 Like

I should add. Cosmetics would have played a role in my decision, except I couldn't find any other zigbee/z-wave thermostat that controlled a 2-stage HP with AUX+EM heat.

I also like the look of the KONOz.

1 Like

Thanks! You've got me going back to my original plan for cosmetics (KONOz). So Zigbee over Z-Wave... I noted in this thread Zigbee vs. Z-wave that there was an article that seems to lean towards Zigbee where assured connectivity is important.

Is that the core of the issues you are worried about with Z-Wave? I fear my house is going to be filled with wall-wart repeaters but so be it. (already have 2 to get my Z-Wave Schlage locks working consistently).

1 Like

There are also more choices with zigbee thermostats right now ....

Edit: for 24VAC applications. The Zen comes closest to supporting a 2 stage HP with AUX+EM.

May I ask, if you would know on the Gocontrol thermostat is there a way to adjust the present temperature reading? Example being -if the gocontrol thermostat shows 68 degrees at the present reading but I have another thermometer near by that shows 66 degrees , is there a way to adjust the Gocontrol to read 66?

A second question pertaining to the Gocontrol - sometimes I feel it takes long for the thermostat to activate the heat - is there a type of swing control that makes it more sensitive to temperature changes?

Look for sensorcal and the delta settings. First thing I did was change my delta from 2 to 1.

Thank you so much. Being Old school and OLD, lolo, I was leary in trying your drive - PLEASE no offense. I just saw numerous issues by Christi999 and thought you were still working on the code. I just installed my Gocontrol yesterday using Hubitats driver. If I wanted to switch to yours, how do I go about that in Hubitat? I know how to install a driver in Hubitat, thats not the issue, but once I install your driver, how do I switch from my present Hubitat driver

For me Zigbee simply works as it should. No more, no less - without the need for worrying about closeness to the hub, repeaters, etc. I have a mix of devices, but I tend to prefer Zigbee.

When it comes to house and family comfort, my thermostats better work. A Zigbee thermostat gives me that peace of mind.

In HE, open the device you wish to change. Scroll down to the Device Information section. There should be a dropdown box named Type. Use that to select the driver you previously installed. Save the device. Then go up and hit configure. Wait a bit and then hit refresh.

Your the Man! Thanks for your patience and understanding. One quick question - If I'm using the new driver, I'll still be able to use the HE thermostat app for scheduling? If I run into issues with the new driver and want to go back, I just go back to that same area and choose the old Gocontrol thermostat?

1 Like

Yes. In Thermostat Scheduler you simply choose which thermostat/s you want to use. It has nothing to do with the driver. And yes, simply choose the other driver again, save device, hit configure, wait and then refresh.

Got it! thanks sooooooo much again. Really appreciate your help

Yes. You can do this. You can adjust the temperature offset by 10 degrees F.

Irrelevant - I didn't read the entire thread. @JasonJoel has provided the specific answer you needed.

Playing around with your Enhanced GoControl driver and I just had two questions - Under Preferences in the Enhanced version, are these the default GoControl preferences and the other question - The "Current States" that appear on the top right of the Device - will these stay the same or do I have to change them in the Enhanced version Preferences to match my Current States that appear in the Hubitat driver?
Thanks again for your time