GoControl Garage Door Opener

I’m running into some trouble with my GoControl Garage Door opener. It had previously worked with an old garage door. I bought a new door, the installers didn't hook up the GoControl. It's a simple device to connect so I thought no big deal. Now I'm close to adding it to the drawer of shame, but decided to ask the community for suggestions before doing so. I’ve copied the device log entries below.

Using generic z-wave driver, this is the log messages when I hit open on the device page.

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.979 pm debug zw device: 22, command: 9881, payload: 00 71 05 00 00 00 FF 06 44 00 , isMulticast: false parsed to ['displayed':true, 'descriptionText':Generic Z-Wave Garage Door Opener unable to perform requested operation (UL requirement)]

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.970 pm info Generic Z-Wave Garage Door Opener unable to perform requested operation (UL requirement)

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.965 pm debug NotificationReport- NotificationReport(v1AlarmType:0, v1AlarmLevel:0, reserved:0, notificationStatus:255, notificationType:6, event:68, sequence:false, eventParametersLength:0, eventParameter:[])

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.313 pm debug zw device: 22, command: 9881, payload: 00 66 03 00 , isMulticast: false parsed to [['name':'contact', 'value':'closed', 'displayed':false], ['name':'door', 'value':'closed', 'descriptionText':Generic Z-Wave Garage Door Opener is closed]]

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.301 pm info Generic Z-Wave Garage Door Opener is closed

dev:21872020-02-01 11:29:18.297 pm debug BarrierOperatorReport- BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState:0)

Device data :

• deviceType: 18244
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x5A,0x72,0x73,0x98
  • deviceId: 13616
  • manufacturer:

I’ve changed the battery in the tilt sensor, done a z-wave exclude, reset the device (press button 5 times; it beeped; should be reset), in-place secure pair, manual open & close to sync. The device page correctly shows open or closed. I emailed Linear Support last month and received no response. It appears to be some sort of safety feature? I can’t find any reference in the garage door documentation.

Any thoughts?

Means you're not meeting one of the UL restrictions.

• More than once per minute.
  • Blinking light
  • Audible alert.
    If the LED is broken (the white flashing light inside) the box goes dead, for example. However, the most common problem with them is that they are "hearing" digital data on the Button Contacts.

I know these steps because it's exactly what I had to do...

You have a wall button, right? Remove those wires from the Opener. Use a small bit of insulated wire to short the Contacts.. the door goes up or down, right? Add ONLY the GoControl GDO to the contacts, then again, tiny wire to short the contacts and cycle the door one complete cycle.. once up, once down. NOW the GoControl should work.. but ONLY once per minute.

Once you get the GoControl working, you can add back your wall button. It will probably fail because the wall button is "smart" with Temp or time... Since you already know the door will go up and down via a short, replace the smart button with a pure dumb one.. like a door bell button. Then spend some time on ebay or amazon looking for a beautiful Dumb Button.

For me, it worked out great because the Dumb Button is very large.. the case is the same size as the Smart one, takes up the same space on the wall, but it's all button, no lcd, no other buttons. The Smart one had a small button along the bottom edge. I don't know about you but my Elbow is the garage button pusher a great percentage of the time as I bring in groceries, etc. with my hands full. The huge button (in comparison) is Elbow sized :smiley:

1 Like

I disconnected the button. It controls the light, so there's the digital bit. Yes, a short there triggers an open or close, same as at the motor. With the button disconnected the GoControl still doesn't do the job. I also confirmed the white light blinks and the beeper beeps. I waited 65+ seconds between attempts.

Next time I'm feeling ladder safe I'll disconnect the GoControl and test the leads to see if they are in fact completing a circuit.

Thanks for the info, I'm a little closer now.