GoControl Devices not triggering on/off events

I have a few GoControl W500Z 500 watt dimmers. They can be controlled by hubitat just fine, but when I press the device to turn on/off the attached load, hubitat does not register an on/off event. I have to refresh to read the current state. Is this a bug?

This is a extensively discussed reality of the HE team opting to avoid performance degrading "polling" to overcome the fact that many smart switch/dimmer manufactures have opted out of paying a royalty to the patent holder (lutron) for the use of their method of instant status reporting. ST got around this by polling each switch for status on a frequent basis.

You can use RM to do this too, but a read through this thread should guide you on the best practices.

[Physical Events Not Logging Consistently]

2 Likes

Thank you for the link. I ran a search, but it came up empty. Obviously, I was searching for the wrong terms. I suspected that it might have to do with HE relying on the push notification of smart devices, but if that was the case then why would there be a generic Z wave dimmer and generic Z wave smart dimmer. I waited as much is five minutes from status to change with no updates. So, I assumed either there is zero pulling, or that there is a problem with the generic Z wave dimmer

There isn't an issue with the drivers, its an issue with the devices.
Generic dimmer can be polled (refreshed) from an app, smart dimmer cannot.

Yep, already understood from the original reply. Thanks for the follow up.

Sorry, I'm very confused.

This particular device supports lifeline association, and no polling should be required as long as the association to the hub was correctly set up.

GoControl Dimmer supports three (3) Groups with up to five Nodes for each group.Group 1 is the โ€œLifelineโ€ group and must be assigned the Node ID of the Z-Wave Controller to which unsolicited notifications from the GoControl Dimmer will be sent. The Z-Wave Controller should set this Association automatically after inclusion. When the dimmer changes dim level, the Z-Wave Controller will be sent an updated dim level so the current state of the lamp is always up to date so there is no need to poll the dimmer

In addition, this model also supports central scenes, so if you set those up, you would also get notification from the dimmer without having to poll.

1 Like

Jiven JD's response, give the Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer driver a shot

1 Like

Just seen this. Thanks. The CentralScene Dimmer works. It's a little more latent than I would like, but it works, so it will get me through the hurdle. Thanks.