Global Variables on Dashboard?

Has anyone found a way to display Global variables on the dashboard ?

I use a virtual driver that has custom attributes which are set by a global variable to show information from Toyota remote connect.

1 Like

@cwwilson08, which virtual driver did you use?

I'll post it when I get home.

1 Like

BUMP because I'm interested in this as well.

Shoot sorry guys totally forgot about this. Will post the code when I get home.

For reals this time.

1 Like

I had started to tailor this for my car. but as it is you can pass in a global variable with a custom action using the gv as the parameter and gvStatus as the command. This can be modified to suit just about whatever you need.

/**
 *  Copyright 2019 Chris Wilson
 *  Driver to display gv as attribute
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */
metadata {
    definition (name: "Virtual Toyota Display Driver", namespace: "cw", author: "cwwilson08", ) {
        capability "Actuator"
        capability "Sensor"
        capability "Switch"

command "gvStatus", ["string"]

attribute "Doors", "string"
		attribute "Odometer", "string"
		attribute "Gas", "string"
		attribute "LastResponse", "string"
    }

preferences {}

}

def parse(String description) {
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on", isStateChange: true)
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off", isStateChange: true)
}

def gvStatus(response) {
	sendEvent(name: "LastResponse", value: response, isStateChange: true) 
	if (response.contains("Toyota isn't responding right now. Try again soon")) {log.debug "toyota not responding - insert retry logic here"} 
	if (response.contains("All the doors are locked in your Camry. Anything else you need")) {log.debug "doors locked"}
	if (response.contains("miles before empty")) {sendEvent(name: "Gas", value: response, isStateChange: true) }
	if (response.contains("odometer")) {sendEvent(name: "Odometer", value: response, isStateChange: true)}
	if (response.contains("All the doors are locked")) {sendEvent(name: "Doors", value: "Locked", isStateChange: true)}
	if (response.contains("All the doors are unlocked in your Camry.")) {sendEvent(name: "Doors", value: "Unlocked", isStateChange: true)}
	if (response.contains("I am reaching out to your Camry to unlock the doors")) {log.debug "unlock command - logic to check doors here"}

}
def installed() {
    on()
}

Did anybody get this to work? I really am not a coder/developer, but @cwwilson08's code looks more complicated than it might need to be based on what much of us really want to happen (Chris, you clearly have additional goals!). I don't care the device type, switch is fine - whatever. Allow it to have a custom attribute, and when a global variable is changed, use a rule to set that global variable into the attribute.

Stay tuned, some exciting things coming soon for viewing and changing GVs on Dashboard.

2 Likes

For community benefit...Connect Global Variables to Dashboards. works fantastic! Simple yet powerful solution.

1 Like