Give the hub a static IP?

Welcome, sorry it didn't work for you. I hope you get this fixed soon.

My original C-4 died today...very very sad day. But...I ordered a backup when they were on sale awhile back. I took the radio stick out of the old, popped it into the new, fired it up and ALL IS GOOD! It was assigned a DHCP but I did like you mentioned, I just replaced the MAC address in the router's allow access reserved DHCP assignment table, bounced the Hubitat and all is lined up again. VERY VERY happy about that because of all my ESP8266's that are running without OTA enabled. Whewwww!

4 Likes

Good to hear. I have a spare C-4 (now) and was wondering how it would go (if I needed to switch over to it).

I have all my control boxes / servers / printers in a static range and the other devices DHCP

@ogiewon @Terk @Ryan780 Guys it boils down to options. My problem is my router. A very expensive asus 5300ROG( I should have gone with ubiquity.. I know).
That randomly changes up addresses. Huge issue people have been reporting that restarts cause all settings to be reset. Huge firmware bug since last year feb.
However. All devices that were manually assigned a static ip on the actual devices still register. Hubitat gets kicked off and as such I dread having to manually configure the router and pray it does not reset.
It happens very intermittently so it works for weeks on end then just does not.

Yes I can buy a new router but I'm tied into asus mesh which worked amazingly till last year using my old routers as well.
Also prices in my country are insane so will not be buying anything I don't have to.

Coming back to my point, I am fairly technical and since the hub portal...app and many more ways if finding your hub makes static ip on the hub a min issue.. we should have this option to solidify our smart home..
My case is a rare case yet very valid..
I truly hope the Devs can change this.

Have you tried the 3rd party Asus Merlin firmware? It might solve the bug you mentioned and it’s supported on your router:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

3 Likes

Have you tried running the AsusWRT Merlin firmware on your router. If it is available for your router, I always found Merlin’s firmware the best option when I was using ASUS routers. I have since switched to a full Ubiquiti UniFi system.

I hope the Hubitat devs decide to offer a static IP address option as well.

4 Likes

Thanks. I think I will try this.
Just never dived into it but security wise I could see how people are going this route

To the Devs and those responsible for making static IPS.. thank you guys.. so much appreciated.. what a difference to the reliability of the lan

I solved the problem of my Hubitat and Lutron bridge going down with my unreliable Internet with a subnet router. Now it works and keeps the ip addresses the same when the main router has no internet connection. Now my ip addresses have stayed the same for over a year while on the subnet and everything talks when the internet is down.