Ghost device in Apple Home app after zwave replacement using Hubitat Homekit beta

Last night I was fiddling with one of my zwave motion detectors, and excluded, included it and did some other things with it too. In Hubitat proper all is well, and there are NO zwave ghost devices and the motion detector is working just fine. However, in the Apple Home app I now have a "no response" error on the old zwave motion detector accessory. Inside the Homekit Hubitat integration the old zwave device is NOT listed and I did add the "new" zwave device. I did a "restart integration" but the Apple Home app still thinks the Hubitat hub is presenting the old zwave device.

How can I clean up the Hubitat Homekit side to force it to stop presenting the zwave motion sensor that no longer is anywhere in the Hubitat interface that I can see?

In the Home App if you press and hold on the device you'll get a pop up. One option will be remove from Home View. If you do that does it come back?

The remove from home view is not an option. The only thing I can do with it is remove the entire Hubitat "hub".

So you donโ€™t have this option if you press and hold on the device?

Two things:

1. The device in question is a motion sensor so there's no unique Home tile to tap like other device types such as lights.

2. If I tap and hold on the generic "motion" banner in the room where the device is located it then brings up a tile-like interface that shows the 'no response' motion tile. Tap and holding on that tile just brings up the accessory details page where you can rename it, see motion status, add automation, etc.

Ah... maybe unpair the hubitat from home and then repair them? Granted if you've moved things around that will suck but it's a thought. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Ya I have way too many Homekit accessories with custom names and automations that unpairing the Hubitat hub as a whole is a non-starter.

Close and restart the Home app or even just reboot the iPhone. I've had to do that in the past when removing a device from homebridge but it remains in the Home app.

OR you can install the "Controller" app. In that app you can make mods to Home that you can't in Home itself. You can remove individual devices.

Already tried both. Accessory is still there. Since the accessory is presented through a bridge, the Controller for Home app is unable to remove it.

@gopher.ny Happen to have any thoughts here?

The way Home app works, it's either all devices from the hub (bridge) or none. You can remove bridge and all of its accessories by drilling down to Accessory details, tapping cog icon at the bottom right, then Bridge, and finally Remove bridge from home.

Or disable the device in the HomeKit integration on the hub, and it will go away from Home app in 15-30 seconds.

Right, but my problem is that in the Hubitat homekit app my ghost motion sensor is no longer listed. The zwave sensor was a bit uncermiounsly removed from Hubitat so I think the beta Homekit app got confused. I can't un-check it the device since its not listed on the Homekit beta app side. It appears to me that the Hubitat homekit app still thinks the device needs to be presented to Homekit, but maybe it's a ghost on the Homekit side?

Try Restart integration at the bottom of the Homekit integration app. That should give it an idea that the device is gone.

I'm not sure quite what fixed it, but now the ghost motion sensor is gone. I was concentrating on the new flapping no-response issue with 16.2. But over the course of the afternoon I:

1. Signed out of both AppleTVs icloud account, rebooted, and signed back in. Verge article said this can remedy some Homekit issues.
  2. Rebooted Hubitat hub a couple of times
  3. Did the Homekit integration restart a few times
  4. Waited a few hours

Appreciate the input!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.