getWeatherFeature

Is there a ETA when getWeatherFeature will be added to the firmware ?

Unfortunately Weather Underground (which was used by ST for this feature) is stopping free access to it’s API and the paid access is stupidly expensive, so I don’t see the hubitat guys implementing this feature anytime soon
(I’d love it if a staff member would contradict me!)

Ther are however; a few ‘weather’ device drivers on this forum which either use your own PWS or alternative services (like Apixu) for getting data into Hubitat.

I use my own PWS connected to a ‘Weewx’ server along with forecast data from Apixu
One ‘coming soon’ feature will be a forecast summary which will be very similar to ST’s spoken weather report.

What part of ‘getWeatherFature’ did you want to use?

Andy

The National Weather Service provides an API to weather data and alerts free.

WeatherUnderground isnt needed. NWS's API uses GeoJson responses though which Hubitat doesn't seem to parse.

Perhaps Hubitat could use the NWS API to implement weather functions. I started to but couldn't get it to parse the Geo+Json format.

https://www.weather.gov/documentation/services-web-api

1 Like

I like this idea...so far my free WeatherUnderground account hasn't been discontinued, but when it is I am not really wanting to have to set up any special servers in order to retrieve weather data. I don't even care if I can't use my weather station data anymore, a general location weather forecast would be fine.

Unfortunately this is US only so not much good for the rest of us

Andy

my weather driver for apixu:

1. does not require a special server setup
  2. does not require a personal weather station
  3. does allow you to get data for your specific location worldwide
1 Like

I will check it out--thanks!

1 Like

I have a paid account with WU can BT2 be coded to use a api key option in this case ?