Getting a weird error I think is causing a major slowdown

Hi everyone. My HE has been rock solid but all of a sudden it’s been really flaky I looked in my logs and every few minutes I’m getting this error

2020-02-14 12:41:16.537 am errororg.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Column "data_type" not found [42122-197] on line 626 (listDevices)

Every time the error shows up the line number changes. Anyone have an idea on what’s going on?

Database corruption. Time for a soft reset.

Ouch. Are there instructions on how to do this correctly?

Have you tried a reboot first?
This can solve the issue.
Worth a try.

1 Like

@bobbles is correct.

Yes, it will appear less frequently or not at all for about ~10 minutes. Then it's back to being slow and errors popping up.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

I'll have to try this when I get home. Is there any reason I would want to start fresh as opposed to starting it over after the reset? I would hate to restore a corrupted database.

Provided that you have periodically downloaded and saved a backup (Backup and Restore on the Settings Page), you could restore one from before the slowdown started. If the slowdown is within the past day or two, you could try the one from four days ago, but it is possibly also corrupted. Having the Hub on an UPS helps to prevent dirty shutdowns helps, but can't guarantee that database corruption won't occur. I had a corrupted database when we had an extended power outage and the UPS ran out of power before I could do a controlled shutdown. In a case like that, having a good backup is important.

Yep. I'm here in the South and just had a bunch of power outages over the last week or two. I think I may need to start fresh then.

Soft reset keeps the devices but all the apps/drivers are back to like it was fresh out of the box?

I don't recall. I ended up having to do a factory reset which meant resetting and then re-adding all my devices.

Ouch, I'm getting to the point where that wouldn't be as fun but I wonder if since it's the weekend and the WAF is running thin I should just do that.

You should contact support at this point. Support will help diagnose the issue and if a factory reset is needed, provide you with the proper information.

Go for the soft reset and see how the hub performs afterwards.
When I've had db errors and have performed a soft reset they have stopped occurring.
Small steps as they say........

1 Like

True. Would hate to go thermonuclear from the get-go

:laughing:

1 Like

If I recall correctly --- @chuck.schwer would have to confirm --- a restore will clean up a DB. You may be able to do a simple backup/restore of your most recent DB to get it cleaned up.

1 Like

I reset the hub and keep getting this error over and over and over again. I think 452 was my old maker-api homebridge but I have turned that device off and still receive the error..

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.794 pm warnReceived local request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/770 from unknown

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.790 pm warnReceived local > request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/848 from unknown

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.780 pm warnReceived local request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/803 from unknown

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.780 pm warnReceived local request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/841 from unknown

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.780 pm warnReceived local request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/809 from unknown

sys:12020-02-14 07:59:54.776 pm warnReceived local request for App 452 that does not exist, path: /devices/389 from unknown

Just saw something similar in my logs. Not sure what app it was as I removed most apps from this hub. The device references my phone for presence.

Have you uninstalled makerapi? You probably should. If you removed it with devices connected to app, rules, anything, then this would be the result. I’ve had this happen even when I deleted everything properly. I had to delete and reinstall the effected devices to stop it. It seems things aren’t always being deleted cleanly.
Btw, soft reset and restore didn’t fix it.

2 Likes

Thanks, will give it a try. I did remove the makeri api from this hub and moved it to my rules hub.