Geofencing question

100% this. And it is also why specialized geofencing apps exist!

When I used Wink, it's home and away were unreliable (on the Android platform). When I used Stringify, home and away were somewhat more reliable because I think I used Life360; geofencing built into the app was hit or miss on the Android platform (even with some pretty valiant efforts from Joey Zacherl).

The specialized app I use now (OwnTracks) hasn't missed a beat in 2+ years. I used it for a few months on Android and on iOS for ~2.5 years now.

2 Likes

Few builds ago, HE was rock solid for me on s10 with rad of 265

1 Like

I understand geofencing is complicated. There are soooo many things that have to work – phone, competing and dissimilar cell phone systems, security settings, software and hardware in general, and more. Reading some of the posts on the issue proves that - some users have had success with version x.x.x of the Hubitat app, while others have their geofencing broken by it. It’s amazing it works at all.

In my experience, geofencing apps can usually be configured. It’s the underlying cell system that doesn’t work consistently. Apple, Google, and cell providers are known to make unannounced changes.

I will investigate some of the options listed by @aaiyar and others.

2 Likes

That seems like another complicating factor. Android is designed to work on many different devices with different OS versions. That’s gotta be tough to build and maintain an app to function around.

1 Like

And different OS forks!

1 Like

I'll add I've had very good success with @Johndc7 's Improved Mobile Presence. Not one of the more well known solutions, but definitely a solid option for Andrioid, and he's was great in helping me get it up and working.

1 Like

Each of our needs is different. For some, Home/Away is sufficient, and the solution you've described works well for that purpose.

My geofencing needs are slightly more complex; in addition to Home/Away, I do the following things:

1. At a certain radius from Home, my garage door opener is powered off or on, depending on whether I leave or enter that radius.
  2. When I enter a certain radius from Home, climate settings at home are changed.
  3. When I go to the grocery store, or Costco, or Home Depot, store-specific shopping lists are sent to my phone as text messages.
  4. I also have automations that are triggered when I reach my place of work.

So my needs require me to use an app that can identify multiple different locations with differing radii to be used as automation triggers. OwnTracks meets that need.

2 Likes

Now I do like that Idea his did you set it up?..ill have to up my life 360 for that. I believe that improved mobile presence is capable of that as well, as you can have multiple locations set up in it.

I'm always up to figure out new ways to do things. I've been on a bit of a tear the last few weeks..

I looked into that, but I couldn't wrap my head around it at the time..

Anyone have success with an iOS device and reliable geofence? I've tried most methods. All of the ping/wifi solutions have occasional drops. Homekit on an old iPad is intermittent. Apps like geofency don't seem to work when they are swiped off on 2 out of my 3 phones. same with Alexa and the Hubitat app. I've played with the background app refresh and other settings with no success. I'm looking for something that runs behind the scenes reliably.

They do, yes, but they generally don't all have occasional drops at the same time. I've been using (testing really) four of them in combination with a presence combiner and some decent timeouts. Seems to be the most reliable I've had.

1 Like

How are you integrating Owntracks with HE? The link in the Owntracks app for the documentation is dead.

While your premise is fine, it overlooks the original problem. The HE standard, installed, program failed as part of an upgrade in the mobile app. As of now, I have not seen a "official" response or even acknowledgement that addresses a problem. For me, the standard product had worked great.
A former home automation, we'll call it "W", began it's decline by failing to address issues and some may see this happening here.
While in no way do I think this is a major flaw, as complex as it is, it should be addressed. All the suggestions to "try" this or that are helpful but "someone" released an update and for some, it's not working.

They are working it on anther post, they have just released a new beta version on android

2 Likes

I think it’s premature to compare Hubitat to Wink at this point. Hubitat staff are, in general, very active here in the forum and responsive to bug reports.

2 Likes

Running 1.6.8.128 still does not show the geofence pin on Android 9 however in the debug logs its now showing the updates with lat/long. Fence lat and long are always 0/0 with no way to set it.

Adjusting the radius seems to trigger a refresh of the lat and long

I can see in the debug screen that each time you change the radius it does show something is restarting, but still no pin :frowning: will wait to see what the next beta holds for us folk :slight_smile:

Hubitat: We're releasing new updates, sometimes multiple times per day!

Also Hubitat: We're going to break geofence and not release an update for a month.

Can this please get resolved soon? Geofence was rock solid until this update to 2.3.0.124. I know the typical answer is, "Use something else for presence." That's not a solution, it is a kludge.

1 Like

FWIW, geofencing is phone app dependent; Hub platform version shouldn’t matter.

2 Likes

Well, all I know is it was working fine until that update. I can go into geofencing in the app and see that the pin was still on my home, it showed my location correctly, it even would say "outside geofence" at the bottom of the screen but yet my device still shows present on the device in hubitat. Then sometimes, like when I'm sleeping and my phone remains in my home the device is randomly not present for hours and then becomes present. Then I leave for work and it remains present. It's completely broken. I did just adjust the geofence size on the app and I see that I am no longer present at home (which is true, I'm at work right now). We'll see if it starts behaving, but I doubt it.

1 Like