Geofencing/presence detection rule not triggering..what did I do wrong?

I have a simple rule that detects when I arrive home (pixel 3XL presence) that only activates at night which turns on the porch lights, opens the garage door and after 10 minutes closes everything back & resets the lights. I have it set so this rule is disabled during the day and only runs after dark.

Today was my first test run (arrived home around 9:23PM) and nothing worked. Below is my rule, the event logged by my pixel 3xl and the system log from around that time period. Can you tell what I did wrong here? What else can I provide to help debug this?

I have a virtual momentary switch setup to control the garage doors w/ Alexa..could it be that I need to use that instead? Is this maybe a safety thing where I can't open the garage door directly from a presence/geofencing script?

Also my wife got mad & jumped out of the car & manually opened the garage door so the door open event in the log was due to her. :smiley:

RULE and details for the garage door itself

Phone

Events taking place around then

Does your garage door open and close if controlled from the device page?

Looks to me like you phone arrival time is within a second of the the door opening event I see in your log..

correct but it did not open. in my hubitat dashboard i get a message 'are you sure?' when i click either garage door that i also have to answer 'yes' to.

so the timing could be coincidental; i have no phone service where i live so it takes a minute for the router to pick up my phone when i pull up the driveway and my wife was probably already out of the car opening it by then manually.

Does your door work when controlled from the device page?

device page? I only control it from a dashboard and have it set to close at 10:30pm every night (if open) which works fine. This is my first time trying to make it open via script.

I do use my voice (alexa) all the time to open & close both doors but thats via virtual switch I created in hubitat.

Could you have not had the hubitat app on your phone open when you pulled up in the car? I think it needs to be running at least in the background for the geofencing to work.

I'm far from a rm expert. If the door opens and closes as expected from the dashboard I would change the trigger and test with a button.

If that goes as expected I would then starybtesting the presence trigger.

But if nothing happened, i.e. none of the lights came on either, then I would think the issue would be with the trigger of the phone arriving home not firing.

Sorry, scrap that, just looked at the logs...

Just suggesting what I might try. Again I'm far from an expert.

If I read right and phone needs to connect to wifi to trigger presence the answer may be wait a few more seconds.

Me neither, and I think you're on the right track with checking operation of the door.

I just know there were some issues for a few people here some time ago, including me, with geofencing and for me it was ensuring the HE app opened automatically when I start the phone.

Press run actions in the rule and see what happens.
Does the door open?

2 Likes

great idea, i'll try that.

well hitting 'run actions' worked flawlessly. i'm going out a limb here and saying my wife just got to the door faster than the geofence picked up on the fact i was home. i'll try it again and may have to fine tune it; maybe since the phone doesn't get service until i'm already in the driveway i might need to come up with something that activates it before i lose service (about 1/2 mile away from my house) instead.

1 Like

@marvyn I use the Life360 integration for presence and don't need the app open for it to open my garage. Might want to take a look at it.

1 Like