Geofencing not working in 1.5.3

I had to reinstall the app on my wife's iPhone XR and it started working again.

I'm not sure if this issue is related to the latest Android app version or not.

I will say that geofencing has generally worked really well for me until very recently. I do have the app ignoring any battery optimizations on my S20 device.

The interesting thing for me was this.. I opened the app to see why the hub thought my phone was 'not present' and saw this:

The map shows me in the middle of the geofenced area but the text below says "Out of Geofence":

I had similar issues with my geofence until I figured out this little bug...

I don't know if this is still an issue on the latest Hub platform, but what fixed it for me:

1. Log out of the Hubitat app on the phone that isn't working.
  2. Delete all presence devices associated with that phone.
  3. Manually create a "Mobile Presence" device.
  4. Log back in and select the presence device you created in step 3 (don't have the app create a presence device automatically).

I haven't had any issues since.

"Mobile App Device" is what I believe you meant, in case someone else takes that literally and wonders why they can't find it.

I am going to give this a try ... not much to lose. My gut feel is that my issues are related to my phone's innate settings, though.

EDIT 8/11: I tried this AND found yet another battery optimization setting to disable. Not sure how much each contributed, but it has been working well enough that I am going to reduce the radius of the geofence.

For people that can't get this working reliably, just use wifi presence. I need this anyways for guests, and pretty rock solid. Most people won't disable wifi.

For those I put on the actual guest wifi network, I just wrote a script to ping the device via remote ssh command on the router, then parse the output. From there, trigger RM via API.