Geofencing - Most stable option available today?

My coverage used to suck...it's pretty good now. Thanks...I didn't even know that you can geofence on a phone with WebCore...you may be the first to bring that up...THANKS!!

1 Like

I have had so many issues with 360, and all the other geofence options. so I went CRAZY, I use my Google home app to flip a switch, Alexa to flip a switch, the HE App, 360 and whatever else, use the presents apps.

with that being said, a few less reliable ones are set to further away, some of the more reliable are closer. I have a delay set also so when the switch is flipped, it assumes ill be home in about 15 seconds.

IF before the 15-20 seconds, it uses my camera's AI detection to open the garage and turn off the alarm (only if the location bit has been changed)

1 Like

For home/not home tracking I'm a fan of BLE beacons and the Owntracks app for iPhone and Android (caveat, it basically requires you requires you to run your own MQTT or HTTP server). I have several USB powered beacons fixed through out the house and my phone detects the beacons. (I don't, but room level tracking theoretically possible.) The app can also do GPS geofencing and location updating.

I also use BLE Gateway app mentioned above. The gateway is in a fixed position and the beacons are in my cars. I had hoped to use it to open garage door automatically but the time for it to detect a beacon in the car was too long.

Also if you have IFTT, its geofence seems to work well. (I know it's hated but I absolutely need it to maintain WAF.)

Wish I could do this but unfortunately, UK users don't have a geofence/location option in the Alexa app :frowning:

Are the transmitters in your cars long range blue tooth?

SmartThings arrival sensors have been good for me, except for the battery changing every 5 weeks or so. They're Zigbee. They don't make them anymore though.

Not sure, manufacturer lists 60m. Bluetooth Low Energy doesn't scream long range to me.

I'm using the Bluetooth BLE iBeacon (BC-U1-MultiBeacon) – USB powered – Blue Charm Beacons in the car and house. The cars also have battery powered beacons.

These are what I have in my cars

Feasycom 4000m Mobile USB Long Range eddystone ibeacon Google Android ble Bluetooth Beacon with SDK

Since the receiver in the house doesn't need to have this kind of power a standard device will receive the output at distance.

You can buy them on Amazon.

2 Likes

I am a fan of HD+, but didn't really look at this until your post. I have it running a couple days now to try it. So far so good. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like